Soldier Gifts for Those In Iraq....AWESOME pics!!!!

Scrambled Egg

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Aug 29, 2007
Fayetteville, NC
Many of you may not know one of our newer BYC members, and also a new member to the BYC Crochet Square Swap, so I'd like to take a moment to introduce her to you..she is a fellow North Carolinian stationed in Iraq. Her screen name and real name is Athena. She will be in Iraq until next April. She seems to work tirelessly over there to bring a bit of home confort to the troops she works with.
hugs.gif
Athena has provided us with the information below in the event ...and with holidays approaching...anyone is interested in sending items to some of our troops. The list below is pretty comprehensive and loaded with inexpensive things that would mean the world to those so far away from home and missing items that we take for granted everyday. Athena has provided an address for Troy's Place, so if you feel so moved to send donations please send them to the address she has listed below. Flat rate shipping is about 10 bucks for a box stuffed full of needed items.

Thank you all so much and thank you to our troops, many of them my neighbors and kids my children went to school with here in Fayetteville, NC (Fort Bragg), so I do send a special heartfelt thank you to anyone that helps out with this project.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Troy’s Place
2948469481_f22e9862ab_ogif.jpg

Major Troy “Trojan” Gilbert

We would like to introduce you to Troy’s Place, The Ministry Center at Joint Base Balad, Iraq. Troy’s Place is a place for military members to relax in a wholesome environment in their off duty time. It is named after Major Troy “Trojan” Gilbert, an F-16 pilot KIA on 27 November 2006, 30 miles southwest of Balad AB. His legacy of investing in the lives of others carries on 24/7 in the home that bears his name. Troy’s Place serves as a morale building site, where military members can find many comfort items such as movies, books, magazines, music, games, stationary for letters, snacks, coffee, and drinks. There is no charge to them, but their experience is priceless. We need your help in order to continue the work at Troy’s Place. The following items are a suggested donation to help insure its continued success.
The items *** are highly sought after items.

Thank You,
Athena S. Tickner
Troy’s Place Volunteer Coordinator

Suggested list of items for Troy’s Place
Food Items:
Crackers - Cheezits, 100 calorie packs etc (very popular when we have them)
Cookies – Teddy Grahams, Oreos, Chips Ahoy, etc
Candy – suckers, miniature candy bars, gummy bears/worms
**Chocolate bars, Gum
Raisins and other dried fruits - small boxes, not the big ones, or bags
Applesauce/Fruit Cups
Oatmeal (instant, in small packets)
Chips – lunchbox size bags or Pringles of any type
Beef Jerky/Slim Jims
Granola Bars/Cereal Bars – all kinds of them
Little Debbie type items
Cup O Noodles or the Lipton Cup o Soup
On the Go Drink Mixes
Tuna kits, small microwavable items (spaghetti, chili)
**Flavored Coffee Creamers
Popcorn, microwave packs
Pop tarts
**Popsicles – the ones that come in a box, in plastic tubes, then you freeze them.
Our hospital ministry hands the popsicles to our injured troops, and they love them.
Basically, any small package items found at a Sam’s Club, Costco, BJ’s or wherever. Many of the cookies and crackers are in ‘lunch box’ aisles at stores.

Hygiene Items:
**Shampoo, Conditioner and Body Wash – for men & women
Lotion
**Body/Foot powder
**Deodorant
Tissues (pocket packs)
Wipes – handy wipes, baby wipes, antibacterial, etc
Razors – for men & women
Shaving Cream
**Eye Drops
**Mouthwash
Toothpaste, Toothbrushes and Dental Floss
Antibacterial hand sanitizer
Batteries of all sizes
Ziploc Bags, snack and sandwich

Family Support:
Phone/Calling Cards – International
**Greeting cards, blank note cards, thank you cards.

Please send your items to the base chapel at:

Troy’s Place
332 AEW/HC
APO AE 09315-9997

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this Scrambled! I love sending things to the troops. It is even more helpful when you know exactly what they are wanting.
smile.png

clap.gif
Yeah thanks so much Scrambled this will make things easier to add just a few items to our shopping list.
wee.gif

And add abit of sunshine to our troops.
clap.gif

Athena and Scrambled if it's OK I will print off this list and at our next 4H meeting give a copy to the members so our county 4-H can put together a few packages to send out. I think it would be a great commuinty activity for the kids.

Thanks again for getting this together.
frow.gif
big_smile.png
Karan

Athena and Scrambled if it's OK I will print off this list and at our next 4H meeting give a copy to the members so our county 4-H can put together a few packages to send out. I think it would be a great commuinty activity for the kids.

I am certain, without a doubt, that Athena would be thrilled to pieces if you all share this list and the donations come pouring in!!! Please give it to everyone you know!!!
hugs.gif
Thank you Karan!!!!​

Last edited:
Thank you for putting this together cause I never was sure what to do except pray. I will print the list off to and take it to church with me and see how many people can help.

My husband is currently serving in Iraq.

He has earned himself another gold coin and is trying to make Sergent. His crew is also up for Bronze Stars.

My daughter's school is collecting things to send to him and his commrades. The kids are SOOO excited to be donating things to their friend's daddy. I can not wait to get them sent out and to hear word from him that he got the packages.

When he goes to the post office on base people follow him. It's great that he is able to share and that it brings such comfort and a bit of happiness to see something familiar or needed....like a box full of deoderant or a box full of pringles or trail mix bags.

Love and Prayers to all of us families waiting at home and to their loved ones far away,
Gretchen

Also, I think it is worth mentioning that space is a premium. Guys have boxes and boxes shipped to them and had no place to put them. Just a thought. I guess that is why the program scrambled mentioned would be good since they probably have a designated space for it. My husband favorite gifts are ITUNES gift cards (for current music), Amazon gift cards (for books) and phone minutes. Which all take up very little space. I also will be mailing a pre-decorated (kids pics and homemade ornaments) Christmas tree for him also for a little piece of home.

Last edited:
I guess it didn't occur to me that there would be alot of spouses of BYC members in Iraq. So sorry, sure do not want to exclude anyone "we" have a connection with...please post their addresses and people can send items to whomever they want. Please do this, it's such a good way for us to feel that we are helping out a bit. Thank you to everyone serving and everyone sending!!!
wink.png

Maple, you and Frog please post the addresses for your spouses so that folks can send items to them as well...anyone else with loved ones in Iraq, please do the same.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom