Solstice egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by donrae, Dec 22, 2015.

1. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    So I think my hens got together and decided to throw me a bone. Or maybe that axe leaning against the coop is starting to work? [​IMG] Yesterday, on the shortest day of the year, I got an egg. Shouldn't be a big deal, I've got dozens of birds. But am I getting eggs? Nope, not so much.

I'm pretty sure it was my silkie that blessed me. She'd been in the brooder taking care of some foster chicks. I needed to put some younger babies in the brooder and she took exception to that. Her babies are old enough to be weaned, so they got to stay in the brooder with the littles and she got the boot back to the pen. I'd hoped for another egg today, but nothing.

So, the days are only getting longer from here on out. Hopefully my hens get on the ball and start laying! My pullets that should be coming to point of lay still look immature and the rooster is still treating them as babies, not mates. Sigh. This year did not go as planned, I'd planned to have eggs all year long!

1 person likes this.
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Chickens luv music.. Get one of the following posters for the inside of coop.
    [​IMG]
    Another thing that should work is STRATEGICALLY PLACED WEBER GRILLS , outside of run but in clear sight .

3. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I had some pullets first lay on Solstice my first year...but I was using lights.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No extra eggs for me yet. [​IMG] I have 45 ish birds, and 9 pullets and I'm getting 1 egg every other day from one of my olive eggers. Nothing from the pullets hatched Easter, they were laying but quit on me. Only 1 appears to be going through a minor molt around her neck and tail. Grrrr, I hatched them so I'd have eggs darnit!

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  6. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Could it be that your chickens are secretly part of a Labor Union and are trying to use leverage to get better feed ??? [​IMG]

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They already get Flockraiser, sheesh, what more could they want?

Maybe they want me to get rid of my extra males.[​IMG]

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

A while back my older group decided to molt a little earlier than expected and my younger group hadn't come into full production, so we had a bit of a supply/demand disparity and I had to send a note out to my regulars that featured this picture alerting them that there would not be deliver the following week and that "negotiations are ongoing"

1 person likes this.
  9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm still waiting for my solstice egg........[​IMG]

10. donrae

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yeah, it was definitely "throw her a bone". Nada since. Freeloaders.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by