Solstice egg

donrae

Hopelessly Addicted
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Jun 18, 2010
Southern Oregon
So I think my hens got together and decided to throw me a bone. Or maybe that axe leaning against the coop is starting to work?
lol.png
Yesterday, on the shortest day of the year, I got an egg. Shouldn't be a big deal, I've got dozens of birds. But am I getting eggs? Nope, not so much.

I'm pretty sure it was my silkie that blessed me. She'd been in the brooder taking care of some foster chicks. I needed to put some younger babies in the brooder and she took exception to that. Her babies are old enough to be weaned, so they got to stay in the brooder with the littles and she got the boot back to the pen. I'd hoped for another egg today, but nothing.

So, the days are only getting longer from here on out. Hopefully my hens get on the ball and start laying! My pullets that should be coming to point of lay still look immature and the rooster is still treating them as babies, not mates. Sigh. This year did not go as planned, I'd planned to have eggs all year long!

No extra eggs for me yet.
sad.png
I have 45 ish birds, and 9 pullets and I'm getting 1 egg every other day from one of my olive eggers. Nothing from the pullets hatched Easter, they were laying but quit on me. Only 1 appears to be going through a minor molt around her neck and tail. Grrrr, I hatched them so I'd have eggs darnit!

Last edited:
No extra eggs for me yet.
sad.png
I have 45 ish birds, and 9 pullets and I'm getting 1 egg every other day from one of my olive eggers. Nothing from the pullets hatched Easter, they were laying but quit on me. Only 1 appears to be going through a minor molt around her neck and tail. Grrrr, I hatched them so I'd have eggs darnit!
Could it be that your chickens are secretly part of a Labor Union and are trying to use leverage to get better feed ???
gig.gif

Could it be that your chickens are secretly part of a Labor Union and are trying to use leverage to get better feed ???
gig.gif

A while back my older group decided to molt a little earlier than expected and my younger group hadn't come into full production, so we had a bit of a supply/demand disparity and I had to send a note out to my regulars that featured this picture alerting them that there would not be deliver the following week and that "negotiations are ongoing"

Back
Top Bottom