(SOLVED) Please help, I might have accidentally killed my first batch.

Okay or Not?

• Okay, no worries.

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Not okay, time to worry.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The temp is still a little under 98, but I guess I could take one out to see if they're okay. Would it be alright if I did before it gets back up to 100?
And yes, I've had my share of panic over these babies! xD Reassurance will be very very nice.
I'd let it warm up a little more, make sure that it's warmed up inside, because the outside air warms quicker than the egg does, but you can candle when you want. Just if you candle now and dont see a lot, don't get to upset, give it some more time to warm and try again.

Here's a pic of the babies right now. I'm hoping that it'll warm up soon...
The blue and green ones are Ameraucana and the brown ones are Rhode Island Reds mixed with Leghorns.
One of them has chicken poopies on it, but it's fertile so I'm not entirely sure of what to do. Though I'm sure they'll be okay, cause the farmer we got them from wouldn't have given it to us if he didn't think it was clean enough to hatch.
The temperature is rising very slowly, but surely. Right now it's at 97.9. Things are going to be okay ^w^)

I'm happy to hear that you got some good advice and everything is headed back in the right direction. People loose power all the time (it's definitely happened to me) and the eggs cool for awhile and then hatch fine! I just wanted to add that you should make sure you have a thermometer in there that you can calibrate yourself to make sure it's accurate. You might already know this. But if you want I can post a video on how you can properly calibrate a thermometer.

UPDATE:
Still no peeps or pips from anyone yet. It's day 20 and the temperature changed again last night, but it wasn't as low and my dad was able to catch it early. And like you all said, things will be fine with a temperature change. I haven't candled in fear of disrupting one, so I don't really have a clue if I've hurt them or not with letting the temperature slip. All I can do now is wait and not touch anything, which I can do.

Though I am starting to worry a little because no one has made any noise. I've been peeping at them every day since I set them, as crazy as that sounds ^w^;) But I really do love birds, ahaha... I feel like I shouldn't expect any pips yet, but I'll definitely let you guys know if no one pips tomorrow. I thought I saw something this morning, but I was using my phone's flashlight to look into the incubator, so it cast a shadow on a bump. It wasn't a pip, though. Hmm.

Anyways, thank you guys for all of your help! <3 I hope you'll follow me on my hatching journey as a first time chicken mom! I'll update as things progress. ^w^)/

I'm happy to hear that you got some good advice and everything is headed back in the right direction. People loose power all the time (it's definitely happened to me) and the eggs cool for awhile and then hatch fine! I just wanted to add that you should make sure you have a thermometer in there that you can calibrate yourself to make sure it's accurate. You might already know this. But if you want I can post a video on how you can properly calibrate a thermometer.
Hey, thank you!! I've heard quite a bit on calibrating thermometers, but I didn't really have time to do it. I put my trust into the one that came with the incubator.
If you have the time, I'm sure others would appreciate a video like that ^w^) I'm not going to be incubating again any time soon though, if these babies hatch.
But yeah, totally go for it! I'd post it on youtube too, there's a lot of chicken videos there and I haven't seen many on calibrating thermometers, which really is important!!
Thank you so much!

UPDATE:
Still no peeps or pips from anyone yet. It's day 20 and the temperature changed again last night, but it wasn't as low and my dad was able to catch it early. And like you all said, things will be fine with a temperature change. I haven't candled in fear of disrupting one, so I don't really have a clue if I've hurt them or not with letting the temperature slip. All I can do now is wait and not touch anything, which I can do.

Though I am starting to worry a little because no one has made any noise. I've been peeping at them every day since I set them, as crazy as that sounds ^w^;) But I really do love birds, ahaha... I feel like I shouldn't expect any pips yet, but I'll definitely let you guys know if no one pips tomorrow. I thought I saw something this morning, but I was using my phone's flashlight to look into the incubator, so it cast a shadow on a bump. It wasn't a pip, though. Hmm. 

Anyways, thank you guys for all of your help! <3 I hope you'll follow me on my hatching journey as a first time chicken mom! I'll update as things progress. ^w^)/

Do you have a forced air incubator? I forgot if you did. If you haven't candled then you may have internal pips! I can rarely hear them chirping over the motor of the fan in the incubator. I can't wait to see your babies!

Hey, thank you!! I've heard quite a bit on calibrating thermometers, but I didn't really have time to do it. I put my trust into the one that came with the incubator. 
If you have the time, I'm sure others would appreciate a video like that ^w^) I'm not going to be incubating again any time soon though, if these babies hatch. 
But yeah, totally go for it! I'd post it on youtube too, there's a lot of chicken videos there and I haven't seen many on calibrating thermometers, which really is important!! 
Thank you so much!

It's really important to not trust the thermometer that comes in the incubator. Especially if you can't calibrate it to check if it's accurate. You can buy a separate thermometer, calibrate it for accuracy and then check it against what the thermometer in the incubator is reading. Here's the video!
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/

Do you have a forced air incubator? I forgot if you did. If you haven't candled then you may have internal pips! I can rarely hear them chirping over the motor of the fan in the incubator. I can't wait to see your babies!
It's really important to not trust the thermometer that comes in the incubator. Especially if you can't calibrate it to check if it's accurate. You can buy a separate thermometer, calibrate it for accuracy and then check it against what the thermometer in the incubator is reading. Here's the video!
http://www.thermoworks.com/blog/2010/10/making-a-proper-ice-bath/

Yep, my new unit was reading way low. If I had cranked up the temperature to get it right on the unit, I would have cooked all my eggs.
roll.png

HAPPY UPDATE:

I candled two babies as carefully as I could. I saw a cute little beak in the air cell, and it could have been my nose, but I might have even heard a little peep in there! <3

I'm so happy! And I'm sure that the chickies are happy too. <3 Thank you guys for all of your help! ^w^)

I'll post pictures on my profile when they hatch. I wish you all the best with your flocks!

HAPPY UPDATE:

I candled two babies as carefully as I could. I saw a cute little beak in the air cell, and it could have been my nose, but I might have even heard a little peep in there! <3

I'm so happy! And I'm sure that the chickies are happy too. <3 Thank you guys for all of your help! ^w^)

I'll post pictures on my profile when they hatch. I wish you all the best with your flocks!
thumbsup.gif
Great news!

Back
Top Bottom