Some of My Barred Rocks Today

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
My BR flock has some up and coming close-to-laying ladies in it now, Zoe and Margaret. They are 14 weeks old and my new flock leader, Dutch, son of Hawkeye and Lexie, is 17 weeks old. He's taking on his new role with relish, I must say; he's also his daddy's son- I rocked him to sleep in my lap, sitting on the hammock yesterday, LOL. The only ladies he hasn't been successful with are my SLW hen, Violet, and my oldest BR hen, Ivy. They aren't impressed at all with Dutch. He hasn't had a cross word with his little brother, Mace, yet, so I hope that when Mace is mating the ladies, that will still hold. If you get hatching eggs from me this fall, they will be coming from these birds. My BR crew:
Dutch
DCP_1202.jpg

Mace with older girl, Hannah
DCP_1188.jpg

Maddie-I call her "Nurse Maddie" because she has to watch everything when we doctor one of the birds.
DCP_1182Maddie.jpg

Hannah & Maddie
DCP_1183.jpg

Margaret, the youngest girl
DCP_1186Margaret.jpg

Lexie, mama of Zane, Dutch & Mace
DCP_1140.jpg

There are others, but they were off to parts unknown tonight when I took some of the pictures. I have 10 BR ladies in all, plus the 3 BR cockerels. And those boys have lots of other ladies as well.

Last edited:
Those are very nice looking chickens!! I plan to get two Barred Rocks and Two Buff Orpingtons. Hens, but I wish I could have a rooster in the city. Roosters look so pretty!!

Great looking birds! I let my BR Roo go because I couldn't take his crowing all day long. Now, my new next door neighbor has a Roo that wakes me up every morning and crows all day long! A man about a mile away took " Rocky" so he could free range and basically " Stay Alive". Now, I've been thinking of asking for him back but I'm kind of embarassed about it.

I love BR's and he was the only one I had. If I add more chickens next spring I am definately getting some BR's.

Thanks for the pics.

How's Zane?

Zane's leg is no longer building up infection and the incision where we drained it is healing up. He's on a long course of a different antibiotic to knock that out for good, but he has no muscle left in the bad leg and no movement in the toes. We will be doing some warm epsom salts soaks on that leg and some minor therapy to try to restore movement, but Dr. Brown (FeatherFanciers website) thinks he may have permanent tendon damage and it may do no good. We're going to try it as soon as the wound is really healed over well, so cross fingers for us.
I do love my BR boys. Hawkeye left me with three wonderful sons of his and I was hoping Zane would lead the flock with Dutch and Mace as backup (40+ hens), but I believe it will be Dutch and Mace by themselves.
hmm.png

Me, too, Cindy. I miss the Big Guy so much, but if you look at Dutch, you'll see that same, very broad chest and overall appearance in him. Mace is a bit more like his mama, but Dutch is Hawkeye, Jr.

Back
Top Bottom