Some Questions About Egg Genetics in Chickens - Questions About Genetics (Ask questions!)

Does that mean they’d be similar to a satin Silkie? Or do those have to be specifically bred for that?
Satins need to have 90% Silkie traits, I believe. I heard @LadiesAndJane mention that before.

So no, they would not be Satins. Similar, sure, but definitely not the same. And yes, they do need to be specifically bred for. They are not “flimsy” like EEs. Heck, anyone could breed EEs if they wanted.
So Satins are usually at least 90% Silkie to clarify. This is achieved after six or seven generations of breeding the resulting offspring back to a Silkie.
They ideally should have all the traits of a Silkie, except for the hard feathering. Anything less is usually just considered a Silkie cross or Silkie mix.
Since a Satin is not an official breed than the definition can be used quite loosely.

A black Silkie bred to a Welsummer will indeed give you smooth feathered offspring that will likely have feathered legs and a crest and possibly 5 toes like a Silkie. Size will usually be something between the parents. My 1st gen Silkie cross hens weigh about 2 and a half pounds. I find these crosses have very soft feathers, much softer than their smooth feathered parent.
Color wise I would expect black with leakage.😊

So Satins are usually at least 90% Silkie to clarify. This is achieved after six or seven generations of breeding the resulting offspring back to a Silkie.
They ideally should have all the traits of a Silkie, except for the hard feathering. Anything less is usually just considered a Silkie cross or Silkie mix.
Since a Satin is not an official breed than the definition can be used quite loosely.

A black Silkie bred to a Welsummer will indeed give you smooth feathered offspring that will likely have feathered legs and a crest and possibly 5 toes like a Silkie. Size will usually be something between the parents. My 1st gen Silkie cross hens weigh about 2 and a half pounds. I find these crosses have very soft feathers, much softer than their smooth feathered parent.
Color wise I would expect black with leakage.😊
Thank you so much! I'm excited for my babies to hatch! (Only 4 days!)

Someone mentioned 5-toe genetics. Anyone care to explain how it works?

A 5-toed roo will result in how many 5-toed offspring? (%)

A 4-toed roo crossed to a 5-toed hen will result in how many 5 toes offspring? (%)

Someone mentioned 5-toe genetics. Anyone care to explain how it works?

A 5-toed roo will result in how many 5-toed offspring? (%)

A 4-toed roo crossed to a 5-toed hen will result in how many 5 toes offspring? (%)
Polydactyly in chickens is genetic but also incubation temperature seems to contribute, especially when seeing birds with more than the usual five toes for example, not uncommon to see Silkies with six toes.
MOST Silkie crosses will have five toes, so it does appear to be a dominant trait, though I have hatched crosses with 4 toes on each foot, as well as 4 on one foot and 5 on the other.
I have also had purebred silkies hatch with only 4 toes on each foot. It is definitely a multifactorial process, so would be difficult to predict exact percentages.😊

1. With a Cochin X Easter Egger roo (hatched from a blue egg) , and Cochin X EE hens (hatched from a blue egg, and lay blue eggs), what percentage of their female offspring will lay blue eggs?
1.) You will get no blue egg layers. If the EE has 2 blue egg genes, 100% of the offspring will lay green. If he has one, you will get 50% that lay green and 50% that lay brown/carry brown. It’s the same if the mom is the EE, except you would already know the female offspring will lay green.
Cochins usually lay off-white, not brown, and it seems that this cochin is not laying brown since he produced blue egg laying offspring. Therefore, 50-75% (depending on the cochin/EE’s genetics) of the female chicks will lay blue or blue-green eggs.

Back
Top Bottom