Some Questions About Egg Genetics in Chickens - Questions About Genetics (Ask questions!)

I agree! He’s beautiful but a bit of an a-hole. But he’s pretty good to the hens. Ernie bears the brunt of his aggression. I have 15 young chicks to deal with now and 7 are little cockerels! I hope I can make it another month with them but then it’s culling time. They’re starting to be pretty annoying. Several are crowing. One is aggressive but only to the other chickens. Usually the older chickens put him in his place pretty quickly. View attachment 3169388
Do you have updated pictures of the white chicks?

What an awesome thread! I need this!

#1- Fir a project creating bantam EEs, what would yield better results, or get the results faster? A Black Dutch bantam roo crossed over EE and/or OE hens, or a Bantam EE roo crossed over EE and/or Or hens?
When I say yrild best results, I’m thinking for egg color, EE traits, size, and how quickly you could get desired outcome. I was t sure since EEs are crosses and not sure if they would breed true.

#2- We have a blue Showgirl hen. She has 5 toes, black skin, and all the showgirl traits, but she’s not silked. If we wanted to breed the silked gene into her offspring, what would be the outcome by crossing her with a Silkie roo?

Last edited:
What an awesome thread! I need this!

#1- Fir a project creating bantam EEs, what would yield better results, or get the results faster? A Black Dutch bantam roo crossed over EE and/or OE hens, or a Bantam EE roo crossed over EE and/or Or hens?
When I say yrild best results, I’m thinking for egg color, EE traits, size, and how quickly you could get desired outcome. I was t sure since EEs are crosses and not sure if they would breed true.

#2- We have a blue Showgirl hen. She has 5 toes, black skin, and all the showgirl traits, but she’s not dolled. If we wanted to breed the silked gene into her offspring, what would be the outcome by crossing her with a Silkie roo?
1: use the bantam EE if you want the project to go quicker

2: she’s not dolled? Do you mean she’s not silkied?

Cool, thank you!

Sorry about that, yes I meant Silkied. Tiny phone keys get me everytime. Autocorrect, I'll fix it. :p
It depends on if she carries the silkied feather gene or not. If so, half the chicks will be silkied. If not, all of the chicks will be smooth feathered but will carry the recessive silkie feather trait. Depending on whether she’s heterozygous or homozygous for the naked neck gene, either half or all of her offspring will have naked necks.

It depends on if she carries the silkied feather gene or not. If so, half the chicks will be silkied. If not, all of the chicks will be smooth feathered but will carry the recessive silkie feather trait. Depending on whether she’s heterozygous or homozygous for the naked neck gene, either half or all of her offspring will have naked necks.
Interesting, well thats fun. I guess we'll have to test breed her and see what we get.
If she doesn't carry the Silked feather gene, then can we breed her offspring back to the Silkie roo and will that give us silked offspring? I'm assuming yes?

Interesting, well thats fun. I guess we'll have to test breed her and see what we get.
If she doesn't carry the Silked feather gene, then can we breed her offspring back to the Silkie roo and will that give us silked offspring? I'm assuming yes?
Yes. Or you could breed the offspring together. Just make sure to breed one with a naked neck if you want to keep the naked necks in the future.

Do you have updated pictures of the white chicks?
C09BC327-2584-4585-AD2E-A146B327289A.jpeg

Attachments

• 80EB2EDC-3B97-4CDB-B0CE-A9834F6F1D95.jpeg
    80EB2EDC-3B97-4CDB-B0CE-A9834F6F1D95.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • FE176243-DCD1-4E42-9898-E009C1EC2F81.jpeg
    FE176243-DCD1-4E42-9898-E009C1EC2F81.jpeg
    388 KB · Views: 3
  • 8BCAF300-00B9-41CD-8793-F688CD1C9D34.jpeg
    8BCAF300-00B9-41CD-8793-F688CD1C9D34.jpeg
    449.7 KB · Views: 2

Back