Somebody please tell me the reason she died

Daniel415

Hatching
Aug 9, 2022
My baby quail got wet during the night and in the morning was very cold, couldn't stand and barely opened her eyes, but at least she was breathing... Before i go on, a day ago she was just as weak when i woke up, but not cold, her crop was pretty much empty and i somehow saved her after watching a video in a panic where a guy was opening the quails mouth gently with his nails then putting the feed in. Tried it myself and it worked, after giving her about 10 pellets and some water, gave her 5 minutes and she was running around like nothing happened. Fast forward to today, she was cold and couldn't stand, I rushed to do the same thing, I already felt food in her crop from last night, but, just for safety, I tried feeding her 2 pellets and giving her water but she wouldn't react to them out of extreme weakness maybe?? after the last drop of water she started opening her beak and bringing her neck forward in a way. It looked like she was choking. Shortly after, she died. Did i kill my little quail out of panic and stupidity, did it just need more warmth and rest, or was it just too weak to survive. I keep asking myself these things, can anybody tell me. Be as harsh as possible if I killed it, i already hate myself just thinking about it. Also, if i get more baby quails in the future, could you give me some advice. Thanks so much. Heres some happier times with the little fella.
20220806_202508.jpg

Also if she was wet and cold that could of caused the death even if was later wat sort of waterer do u have as u really have tk be careful with baby quail u can buy small safe quail waterer in some stores and online sorry this happened to u unfortunately these things can happen. Maybe send a pic of ur set up in brooder and we can see if anything needs changing.xx

Its always complicated after the fact. But Many many many chicks dont make it. While im sure a good number of them can be saved by experts, alot are not. I like to think in the future u should keep them warm and dry and let them feed themselves a nice wet food if they are having trouble. Do u know how it got wet? maybe the water container was to big?

What age was the chick .and what type of heat source used in brooder to help keep it warm and dry afterwards

It's possible that your chick simply failed to thrive. I have to admit, though, from your description, it sounds like she may have choked on the water. When I have given water by dropper, I always let the chick take the water. Never force it.

Its always complicated after the fact. But Many many many chicks dont make it. While im sure a good number of them can be saved by experts, alot are not. I like to think in the future u should keep them warm and dry and let them feed themselves a nice wet food if they are having trouble. Do u know how it got wet? maybe the water container was to big?
It was a small jar lid with a flat pebble in the middle so she won't fall in it. She had balance problems since i got her and in her 5 days alive she fell in the water 5 or 6 times and the last 3 times got wet even with the pebble in there. Had to dry her everytime afterwards. Maybe I was too late this time. Yeah, if i ever get another quail, I'll make sure warmth and getting wet is not a problem anymore. Thanks for commenting

That was a rookie mistake I've made -- presuming that feeding a bird was a good thing. Quail are better off trying to feed themselves. Don't feel bad. That bird was probably just not meant to be.
Thanks for the comforting words. Wish your birds a long and healthy life :)

Back
Top Bottom