Someone please help!!

If the lid doesn't melt and/or catch fire (which it will), it will send off fumes. If you're not home you need to call someone who is there or can get there to take that lid off your lamp. It will be hot (unless you've got an LED bulb in it) so be careful. If you have an LED bulb in it, that's fortunate, because they don't heat up much--on the other hand, it won't warm your ducklings, either.

Also, brooder lamps come with a "cage" (just two half-circle curved wires) that fit over the opening of the lamp in a crossed formation. This helps prevent the bulb from contacting flammable surfaces--it's helpful but it doesn't always work, so extra-strict precautions need to be taken to prevent the brooder bulb from touching or getting close to anything that can catch fire. If it can be bumped by a pet or young child and caused to fall, that needs fixing. You seem like a very creative person. It's important that you imagine all the ways that lamp could cause a fire and prevent them. Lots of people... adults who ought to know better... have suffered house or coop fires because of brooder lamps. Please be safe!

Did you feel of it? Is it hot? When materials are exposed to heat over a period of time, their flash-point (temperature at which they will spontaneously burst into flame) goes down. Has your mom seen your invention? Glass would be fine, but a plastic lid, even an inch away (which does help) is just dangerous.

I'm 60 years old. I can conceive of a time when I would have done just what you're doing. I can absolutely understand why you would like it. It's very creative problem-solving and I'm genuinely impressed and proud of you. Only you haven't had the time to accumulate all the facts. This set-up can and is likely to cause a fire. Even if it doesn't cause a fire (and that would make me very happy--this is not about me being right) it can and most likely is putting off fumes. Ducklings and other baby birds are delicate and can be hurt by fumes even if you yourself can't notice them.

Please believe me--you are way better off with the unfiltered white light. Most people brood their chicks, ducklings, turkey poults and goslings under white light.

You can make them a little cave if you like--something they can snuggle up in together at night so the bright light won't bother them. That way they can be warm and still sleep peacefully.

@CindyinSD is right, this is very dangerous! Please take it off. If the lamp is hot enough to warm the ducklings, it is hot enough to burn plastic an inch away. Also, consider this: by covering the light with plastic you are not only blocking some of the light, but you are blocking the heat, so the ducklings won't get the benefit of the heat lamp. I'm sorry, but it's just a bad plan all around. It's not safe!

@CindyinSD is right, this is very dangerous! Please take it off. If the lamp is hot enough to warm the ducklings, it is hot enough to burn plastic an inch away. Also, consider this: by covering the light with plastic you are not only blocking some of the light, but you are blocking the heat, so the ducklings won't get the benefit of the heat lamp. I'm sorry, but it's just a bad plan all around. It's not safe!
It's just an incandescent bulb too! It's alright!

Back
Top Bottom