Someone please help

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
My rooster is about 2yrs old. He has had a limp since he was iddy biddy I noticed it one day. Today I noticed it has gotten worse just since maybe 2 days ago. Yesterday I noticed he wasn't feeling well and wasn't himself. He was just hanging around not going with the hens which is RARE. Today I noticed his limp more and he was acting more not himself than yesterday. When he breaths he opens his mouth to take breaths. He is eating and drinking not moving about hardly. His poop is really green and yellow. There isn't really a need to post a pic. there isn't anything to see. can anyone tell me whats going on with my sweetie? thanks

UH NO!!!! gross I just looked at some bumble foot pictures. I am pretty sure he doesn't
sickbyc.gif
I am so afraid I am going to wake up in the morning go out there and he be dead.

The bumble foot is usually identified by the black scab on the bottom of the foot or it could be on the toe.

It could be something that he has dealt with all his life and something has happened that has weakened his system.

In the south i would defiantly look into worming your flock, the worms live off of what the birds are eating and can rob the bird of nutrients, and eventually kill the birds.

I worm mine with Valbezan Goat wormer, .5ml per bird, given orally with a follow up dose in 10days. I do mine every 6 months.

With him being in a weak state it may help him out or it may be too late to bring him back, its hard to say.. You need to keep him hydrated and try to get some kind of food in him. Being careful not to aspirate him.

Last edited:
Actually posting a picture of his droppings might be helpful If they are yellow it could indicate possible E.Coli infection which can go all over the body. Also, mycoplasma synoviae is a chronic disease that affects the joints. Be sure and give him some vitamins (especially B's and E.) That might help him. Also the antibiotic Tylan 50, 1 ml. daily by mouth or as a shot to the breast for 3-5 days might help. Here is a link to some common diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:

ok here is his poop. he is ok this morning still like he was yesterday. he hasn't came out of the coop yet and he is usually the first out ready and crowing. he sounds real raspy with his crowing this morning. I put electrolites in the water yesterday,. I do have some antibiotic I will use today.

can you tell anything about the poop? I have him on electrolites and antibiotics. The man at the feed store said he may have a respiratory infection. he didn't know about his legs. the bumble foot would be on the feet right not on the spur? and you can see it clearly right? he cant hardly walk now. I have him inside where it is cooler. should I leave him in here to keep cool or leave him outside? also what does aspirate him mean?

Back
Top Bottom