Something ate mamma! Can I incubate?

Sophie Mae

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 30, 2010
Marion, Ohio
I am sooooo MAD. Only one week left to go! this is where she laid her nest.

This is what it looked like. Today I went out side to let the chicks out and to check and feed everyone, she was GONE! More than half of the eggs too! Not a shell or a feather in sight! It had to have happened sometime during night! This is right outside my bedroom window. I made a secure place for the ducklings and mamma once they were hatched, thought about moving ahead of time but I was worried she would not take to moving her nest, I wish I would of did it now. I took the remaining eggs and put them in the incubator, I had some in there from last week. My other duck made a nest farther away form the house and came up missing as well. It is worth a try right? They should of hatched on fathers day. It is kinda scary, it must be a coyote, so close to the house? I have five small dogs, they are always yapping at something. I could get up at least 5 times during the night. I did not hear them last night though:(
3 sons, 4 dogs, 2 cats, 3 peking, 4 muscovy, 1 cuckcoo maran roo, 2 barred rocks, 4 silver layced, 12 don't know yet.....

I would guess that if it were a coyote it would be very obvious. Feathers, broken eggs, etc. Any chance she relocated her nest?

Quote:
Very carefully -
ya.gif

I still have a hard time with there being no evidence like feathers or broken eggs. Raccoon or coyote would leave a obvious mess.

Exactly, what would take a duck, some eggs and not leave something behind? This is the second one I lost! When and if I get more females I will attempt to move them if they continue to build the nest in unsafe places. I have provided them safer areas, was not a fan of the right next to the dog fence but it did last for 4 weeks. Maybe a fox? I dont know

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom