Something got in and killed my Guineas: Fortification Material post 20

Oh my gosh, Deb! You have been haveing bad luck..
At least you got the pen safe enough for your little keets. (Mine are starting to fly! It feels like just yesterday they just little bitty babies.)
Those cage panels are really neat! Lets hope nothing gets through it!
fl.gif

Quote:
I am going to make a full on six by twelve cage for them which is the same size that they are in now. But this will have wire on all six sides. A temporary solution till I can be confident the coop is secure. I have been twiddling along with the construction of the coop waiting for people to help me and stuff.... I need to stop doing that. The only one I can depend on is myself.

The weather is good for this for the birds. no wind no night chill so i am going to take down the wood garage doors. The weak link in the Coop I have. I am going to take them down and disassemble them to form half walls. I hate to waste material and in doing this I wont be. So my next installment on Keets hopefully will be my moving them to the new cage.... which will be an adventure in itself.

Wow, nice aviary panels, I need some of those! I'd say that's going to be about as bullet proof of a pen as any Guinea could hope for lol. Sorry to read/hear you lost some little ones too, that had to have just poured more salt on the wound for ya
sad.png
Hopefully losin' birds is done and over with for you now. And so glad you aren't allergic to bees AND that you didn't swerve and crash!!! (I would have flipped out!).

Good luck with your project, and be careful, don't over do it workin' in the heat out there all by yourself. If we lived closer I'd come help ya
hmm.png

Quote:
Thanks Peeps. I am only going to do a cage for them right now with the six footer parts.... I can do one exactly the same size as the one they are in but it will have a floor and a roof. Its going to be interesting getting them to go actually into the new cage too.... LOL.

BTW this cage manufacturer is KW cages and its right here in Santee http://clover.forest.net/kwcages/index.html And they sell wire both in flattened sheets as well as in rolls. I had considered buying a roll of it for the coop but now I have the equivalent of two rolls for free.... yay.

Quote:
Still wont keep out predators. Not even Cholla cactus (also called Jumping Cactus) which we have in great numbers here. Most of the critters here in the desert are adapted to em. I dont have the water either. Sigh.... Any tree any bush that grows here does so on 10-12 inchs of rain per year. Including the trees.

72852_boulevardbackdoor1.jpg

72852_bankheadspgs_003.jpg

And before you ask.....LOL. I don't have grass as well it doesn't belong here. Though I am considering some aquaponics so that i can justify growing some Tilapia and using the water to irrigate some greens for the livestock.

Quote:
Thanks its my slice of heaven in more ways that most people know. You should see it when we get our 72 hours of snow too. Its High desert at about 3000 feet and due south about two miles is Baja turn a little East and you are looking toward the sea of Cortez (90 miles away) turn a little west and you are looking toward the pacific ocean about the same distance. When the wind blows from the west you can smell Iodine and feel the moisture. When the wind blows from the east it is bright and clear and odorless and very very dry.

I just read your post. I am so sorry for your loss.
hit.gif
That is horrible. Please don't blame yourself. We all find out things we could have done better after the fact. We lost 12 birds last year due to a dog attack. It is so horrible. Sending you prayers and hugs.
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom