Something got my roo! I am just amazed. UPDATE-I GOT IT!! PG 9-GRAPHIC

Bad year for coons! My DH has been at war with them over our sileage bag. Finally had to put hot wires around the whole thing. Rock on with the night hunts. My boys would love that!
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
He loves it that I'm not a big sissy. As far as camping/hunting/fishing & things like that go, he'll be right up under me. He said that I am the only person he knows that can start a fire without gasoline..
lau.gif

But when it comes to me telling him to clean his room, or trying to ground him...that's when I'm "not his mom". I just get the DH to do the dirty work these days!

Hello, I am a new "egg" here. Just wanted to say I lost my BR Rooster yesterday, in the day light hours. He and his 2 hens are free range on my pony farm that has dog proff fencing. Found him partly eaten, guts ripped out, head almost detatched and all the meat gone on his neck to the bone. He was by the pond where it is grown up and has big brush piles from a storm last year. Lots of cover. I have lots of red tailed hawks around a wondered would a hawk kill a grown big roo? Maybe it was a coon, but I thought they would do their dirty deeds at night.
May put out a trap and see what I get. I am just getting back into chickens and raising my firs ever pure bred BCM and BC chick that came in the mail a few days ago.

You doing better than I do.I have no patience to sit outside to see if one comes..We have our alarm set up , so we jump out of bed when it goes off.
I think we had like 15 raccoons and like 7 possums this year allready.

We are running out of burying space.
big_smile.png

question about the bow.. I know that for deer etc you need so many lbs. draw , right? Did you have to adjust it or leave it the way it is ? Or does it make a difference?

I shoot them with a .223 chambered in 9mm so I am clueless about bows.
Allways wanted to learn how to shoot a bow tho.. maybe someday.. someday !

This is a very entertaining post. Sorry, you lost your birds. I’d watch that opossum too. I caught opossums pulling chicks thru my wire before. Just to add my two cents: I use peanut butter & Jelly to bait my traps. The coons love it, and it sticks to the paddle, so they can’t just snag and run. The other thought I have is, do you have a dog? My sheepdog keeps everything away, and is my 1st and favorite line of predator defense.

I had an insanely big raccoon pulling coturnix quail through smaller openings. There'd be nothing but some bloody bars (unbent) and feathers by morning. Somehow it was getting whole birds through openings my fingers just fit in to. This thing is too big to fit in any coon trap I can get around here and even with the trap staked just carried it several 100' away. Probably rolling the trap until the birds were in position to pull them out piece by piece. The one time I saw it up on my porch it stood higher than my knee and was unconcerned that I was trying to scare it off. We hauled out 5 or 6 smaller raccoons ( I say smaller but it still took 2 of us to carry the trap) but haven't caught that one yet since we have no legal trap available to us that it could fit in. We'd have to order a coyote or dog sized trap. Until we get a gun we've just been closing the coop door extra early and I wouldn't dare leave anything out in the yard in pens.

Mrs. Glassman :

Quote:
We really did. It's not often we can do that. He's still in the whole "you're not my mom" phase, but he coming out of it.

You may not be the Momma but your the cool StepMom who takes him out to hunt.
Memories like this and the bonding will last a life time.

even after hormones become an issue.​

Back
Top Bottom