Something got my roo! I am just amazed. UPDATE-I GOT IT!! PG 9-GRAPHIC

Mrs. Glassman has protected her birds with hardware cloth, so her chickens are now unavailable to coons.

Quote:
I am quite sure Mrs. G. is not so foolish as to believe she can kill all the coons in the woods.
roll.png
I don't believe anything anyone could say would make her think otherwise.

I believe this is a situation where Mrs. G. would like to obtain satisfaction against these particular marauding coons. I don't believe she will be making a career of it because I'm sure she needs her sleep.

Last edited:
No offense but I see how scared my rooster still is now from last night. Even if the raccoons can't reach their hands through the hardware cloth now they can still surround the little cage and terrorize the chickens all night long. I would personally feel better with them inside an enclosure out of sight where they can get some rest instead of being surrounded by racoons all night long scared to death. What kind of life is that?

If you look on craigslist.com there are a lot of dog houses for sale under $25.00 in your area. some are even free if you will just pick them up. Try searching for a playhouse too... that might work

dog houses under $25.00 some free
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=dog+house&catAbbreviation=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=25
FREE
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/1264454061.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/for/1282092173.html
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/zip/1291321098.html

playhouses
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/search/sss?query=playhouse&catAbbreviation=sss&minAsk=min&maxAsk=25

maybe you could cover the door hole with some hardward cloth or hinge a piece of wood. That way you and your chickens can both sleep at night and get some rest.

Last edited:
Quote:
You are absolutely right, Brindlebtch. Who would think such a thing?
lau.gif
lau.gif

And Dixiegirl, I know that you are attempting to be helpful with your suggestions that I get a doghouse. I do have a chicken coop. A quite sturdy one, in fact. What was hit were small satellite cages that I use on a temporary basis to:
A) Separate out certain chickens for breeding reasons.
B) Isolate any new arrivals until I can be fairly sure they are not ill.
C) Rear hatches until they are large enough to go in with the adults.
D) Hold certain chickens I plan to cull.

While I would like to build each a grand house just for them, it's really not feasible. I've had these chickens, and raised them in this fashion for three years without a problem. As soon as a problem presented, I adapted in kind.

Apparently you didn't bother to read the whole thread (which is ok...I skip to the end sometimes myself), or you would have known that I've already reinforced the problem cages & this is now a matter between Me & a certain raccoon....and you would have known that I planned to kill it rather than relocating it.

Thank you for posting.

Divon80: DH puts corn in the feeders during Spring & Summer to help the deer put on weight and to get them accustomed to frequenting a certain area, that we plan to hunt. The deer feeder is also handy to use with a game camera to get an idea of what you have in the area. It is illegal to hunt over bait, so he normally lets the feeder run out just before hunting season begins. This year he has opted to plant a deer food plot, since it is legal to hunt over anything that is planted, rather than baited. I keep kidding him that I'm going to commandeer the feeder to use over the run on my chicken coop, since it's just sitting around now.

And now, I suppose I should get to last night...

DS (who is actually Dear 12 year old Step-Son) and I, got ready to go sit outside around my pens. He was picking out his spot, and asked, "Where should I sit tonight?" All I could reply was "Anywhere except for between me & that darn coon!" He opted to sit on the other side of the chicken coop, while I took up once again, between the rabbit pens & the chicken coop, so that my SMALLER TEMPORARY PENS were in front of me.

We gathered up our gear, (coffee, weapons, flashlight, & smokes for me), and left the house around 10:30 to sit and wait.

Again, a opossum slaundered up and sniffed here & sniffed there, no doubt looking for the smell of the recently fallen, or perhaps a misplaced, forgotten egg. I watched him as he policed up some spilled rabbit food from underneath the pens, and finally disappeared into the night.

The light I had placed nearby was a flurry of activity. Moths & other insects dashed about and flickered in & out of the glow. Before long, a bat dove in, graceful & stealthy and had a happy feast.

Around midnight, I heard something just behind me. There was the definite sound of dry leaves being gently disturbed. It must be the raccoon! But I can't risk turning around! I close my eyes & try to steady my breath. My heart is racing. My hands want to tremble, my muscles already tired from clasping the bow against my shoulder for so long. It's moving under me now. RIGHT UNDER ME. I start to envision what would happen if this thing touched me. It's almost more than I can stand...Then suddenly it darts out from under me and heads straight for my rabbit pen. Holy Cow! It's a freaking rabbit! A stupid little brown rabbit. Come to visit my does who are no doubt in heat.

After another hour, with no more interesting events, we retreated indoors.

My nemesis did not return that night. I have no doubts he will soon enough.

As we were gathering up our things, the DS & I excitedly talked about the things we saw & the sounds we heard. It was a rare and wonderful bonding experience for he & I, who have so little in common.

Even as I type, he is asking if we can "...please sit out for a bit again tonight??" I seldom go to bed before 2 a.m. and he does not have school yet. For him, these are the last days & nights of the summer.

I just may.

Sorry you didn't get that raccoon, but sounds like you and DSS had a great night outside.
thumbsup.gif
Definitely worth doing again!

Shelly

thats so cool that at least something good could come from all that death.

from what I know coons have a large territory or area they cover over a 3-4 day period so sometimes they will be gone for a day or 2 but never more than 4 unless having babies. yours looks like a big male so I would think either tonight or tomorrow night for sure.

Happy hunting
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom