Something is chewing on my chickens neck...

No bugs visible in/near the wound. The would is larger than we thought. It is partly down her back and extremely deep. She seems fine, but my husband isn't sure she's going to make it. It's very distressing. How would we know if she is in pain? We don't want her to suffer.
Photos? A wound in the neck sounds bad enough, but it would be nice to have a visual reference. Maybe not flystrike, but flies are attracted to wounds.

I can't get a photo, but will post if I can. It is very clean, no bugs or flies and we are spraying it regularly with vetericyn. It's very weird as her feathers are not disturbed like they would be from an attack. We put a mouse trap in the coop and cleaned it - no signs of mice. We live in the country, so predators are very heavy here. She seems great this morning, you'd never know she had a huge wound. However, she's a free-range girl and is not happy about being stuck inside.

As others have said, it's almost impossible to answer your question without seeing good pics of the wound and also of the coop (if not secure enough, it could definitely be raccoons reaching in and hurting her.)

Last edited:
I would also use plain antibiotic ointment on the wound twice a day. Flush it out with saline if there is drainage or pus. Placing her inside the house or in a garage were she would be safe would be helpful. Some use game cameras to catch a predator while in the act.

I appreciate the ideas! I will try to get a pic at some point when my husband can help. He's the only one she lets hold her. We don't have raccoons here, so that's not it.
She is inside the house and safe while she heals, but we have to figure this out so she can return to her coop/outside safely.

My husband got a headlamp and inspected the wound last night, he couldn't see the "bottom" of the wound/hole, but there were no visible maggots. Could they be hiding out of sight or would we definitely see them?

There may not be maggots at this point but photos are tantamount .. Yes please use a plain antibiotic ointment no pain killer in it Please

You can flush the wound once with 1/2 strength hydrogen peroxide, which would get down into the wound and fizz anything out. Clean off with tissue or paper towel. Don’t use the peroxide after that since it can damage tissue.

Back
Top Bottom