Something is hanging out of my chickens butt!!!

Sulkychicken

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2021
There’s something hanging out of my almost one year old hens butt. There’s no blood and it doesn’t seem to be soft or fleshy. She seems to be sleeping off and on a lot lately and when I set her down she fell over a little. It doesn’t look like she’s cleaning herself much either. She was eating though.
8F9DD4C9-62FE-4CFE-AEE1-0FB8CC5DFF14.jpeg
8C16877C-EF18-4EAF-A1D6-E7921368C776.jpeg
Nothing else is bothering any of my other hens and I don’t have any roosters. Anyone know what this is??

There’s something hanging out of my almost one year old hens butt. There’s no blood and it doesn’t seem to be soft or fleshy. She seems to be sleeping off and on a lot lately and when I set her down she fell over a little. It doesn’t look like she’s cleaning herself much either. She was eating though. Nothing else is bothering any of my other hens and I don’t have any roosters. Anyone know what this is??
You may want to bring her in, wet down the feathers around the vent so you can get a better look at that. Take some more photos if possible once you do this.
Looks like a dried shell membrane. If that's what it is, then you'll have help remove it. Soaking in a warm bath and applying a lubricant like ky jelly, mineral oil or similar around the membrane may help you ease it out.

Keep us posted.

Update
You may want to bring her in, wet down the feathers around the vent so you can get a better look at that. Take some more photos if possible once you do this.
Looks like a dried shell membrane. If that's what it is, then you'll have help remove it. Soaking in a warm bath and applying a lubricant like ky jelly, mineral oil or similar around the membrane may help you ease it out.

Keep us posted.
Update: We put her in warm water and the mass completely dissolved. Lots of poop. She was most likely constipated. We have her with a towel just sitting in a box for now we’ll move her back outside later.

Update

Update: We put her in warm water and the mass completely dissolved. Lots of poop. She was most likely constipated. We have her with a towel just sitting in a box for now we’ll move her back outside later.
Make sure you dry her butt really well with a hair dryer. Don't know where you are located but you don't want her to get cold.

Make sure you dry her butt really well with a hair dryer. Don't know where you are located but you don't want her to get cold.
We made sure she was dry when we put her back outside. It does get cold at night here but she wasn’t moving up into the coop she was staying in the run. I sat her in the coop where we have a heater and she didn’t leave where I set her down because I found her dead this morning. I’m not sure what happened to her.

Back
Top Bottom