Something is wrong with her wing?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MABEchicks, Jun 12, 2017.

1. MABEchicks

MABEchicks Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    IMG_0777.JPG IMG_0778.JPG IMG_0779.JPG I noticed this a few days ago, our 11/12 week old RIR pullet, was looking sad and roosting all day but I noticed her top beak was broken at the tip. No blood or tissue showing and when I locked the other birds out she ate a ton of food and the next day she was out and about. But then I noticed her wing. The lower more defined feathers were hanging low on her side. Some feather are also falling off and around the coop. I can see like white bone almost on the bottom of her wing(no pictures hard to see) but I just don't know if she's losing these feathers or what. She's roosting fine and i think she can still move it and everything. Just wondering if anyone has seen this before. Anything would help! Ever since she was little her feathers took longer to come in. The base of them are very hard and it just seems like her feathers have always been different.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Those are new feathers growing in, sometimes they are heavy until they get used to them. The white stuff is the feather sheath that encases the feather as it grows. You pullet is actually a rooster as well.

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls BYC Fan Premium Member Project Manager

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    oldhenlikesdogs likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Yes, it is a rooster and what thick legs it has.

5. MABEchicks

MABEchicks Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    Okay so the feathers are okay? And also why do we think she's a rooster? These are the 3 others we got with her so we assumed she was a pullet do to the differences. Her tail feathers don't go up and over like the others, just are kinda brown and fluffy, also her comb and wattle are much much smaller and lighter in color. Idk IMG_0764.JPG
    She's in the middle here ^ IMG_0765.JPG IMG_0766.JPG And she's so mellow and quiet compared to the boys. Any info is greatly appreciated. Very new to this!

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    All the Rhode island reds are boys. The darker saddle and shackle feathers coming in, along with the big combs and thick legs.

7. MABEchicks

MABEchicks Just Hatched

Jun 5, 2017
    Oh good to know. I guess we were just really hoping for one pullet. 4/4 roosters Thanks for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by