Something is wrong with my lavender rooster, what should I do?

Chick3nL0v3r

Hatching
Jun 11, 2023
My lavender rooster is about 6 months old and is still developing. Just about today he has been inactive, doesn’t want to eat or drink and just sleep. Now his head is shivering and his leg is twitching. I don’t know what to do, the rest of his brothers and sister seem super active and happy and are flying and running and he is just the opposite.

Check his crop for impactation or sour crop, comb and wattles for color, ears for infection, mouth for any growths, and his poop. Have you noticed any labored or wheezing when he breathes? And when was the last time he was dewormed?

Check his crop for impactation or sour crop, comb and wattles for color, ears for infection, mouth for any growths, and his poop. Have you noticed any labored or wheezing when he breathes? And when was the last time he was dewormed?
He has never been dewormed since he has never ever been sick or had symptoms of having worms, I felt the right side of his body under his throat to his chest area and he has some sort of ball shaped and it felt like the food I feed them. When he breathes he doesn’t sound like he is wheezing or trouble of breathing. I compared his sisters and brothers crops to him and he is the only one who has a bubble shaped under his throat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    651.8 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    989.8 KB · Views: 5
He has never been dewormed since he has never ever been sick or had symptoms of having worms, I felt the right side of his body under his throat to his chest area and he has some sort of ball shaped and it felt like the food I feed them. When he breathes he doesn’t sound like he is wheezing or trouble of breathing. I compared his sisters and brothers crops to him and he is the only one who has a bubble shaped under his throat.
Check it again in the morning and see how if feels. Is there an odor coming from his mouth?

I checked it today since it started yesterday and it feels the same, I did some research and I believe he has a sour crop. Everytime he looks down or tries to drink water or eat he has saliva coming out and he does have a smell on his mouth area

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    452.4 KB · Views: 4
Hello there ☺️

If the crop feels hard and unchanged from the previous day, it is most likely impacted.

Sour crop - soft and squishy crop in the morning. Will have s fermented smell. Caused essentially by the crop not functioning properly.

Impacted crop - as a result of food gorging, eating long fiberous materials or substances more difficult to digest, the crop is not clearing and the food has compacted into a ball, not allowing it to clear.

After a bit of time, the food can begin to ferment in an impacted crop, which would lead to an impacted, sour crop.

To relieve the impaction, you can drip an olive oil into his mouth, and massage the crop. What you are trying to do is break up the material in there and aid in his digestion.

It is very important to massage the crop down toward the ground, or his stomach.

Chickens are not designed to throw up, or have anything come back out of their mouth. It can easily cause them to choke.

Also, the olive oil. We are talking small drops. We don't want to blast a syringe full into the guys mouth. The thick consistency of the oil can easily lead to aspiration. Just take your time, small drops and be very gentle with him.

I checked it today since it started yesterday and it feels the same, I did some research and I believe he has a sour crop. Everytime he looks down or tries to drink water or eat he has saliva coming out and he does have a smell on his mouth area
It sounds like sour crop to me. Don't give him anything to eat or drink for the next 12 hours. If you can, massage the crop every couple of hours to get things moving down. Movement should be from top to bottom. After the 12 hours he can have plain water to drink. If his crop appears empty and flat after the fasting period, then you can start giving him scrambled eggs and plain yogurt mixed with his food. Don't give him much food for the couple of days after his crop empties. 3-4 small meals throughout the day should be good. Give him as much plain water as he will take, no additives.

Back
Top Bottom