somewhat new duck momma

duckmomma92

In the Brooder
6 Years
May 21, 2013
branson, mo
I have 4 pekin ducks.... I think 3 are hens and 1 drake..... im wanting to find magazines to subscribe to about raising ducks and anything else to better educate me... also muck ducks arent sleeping in there house. Is that normal?

Welcome to BYC and your ducks are very pretty. I highly recommend Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks By Dave Holderread. also may I suggest adding a few more windows, it doesn't have to be anything elaborate but maybe if they had more air and light they would like it better, cut outs with hardware cloth over to protect from preds. Your fencing looks like something could stick their arm in and easily grab a duck. I like your set up though. One things ducks don't know is how much safer they would be if locked up at night, that's were we as their caretakers need to step in. Ducks herd easily and love treats so maybe a little herding then a special treat once in side will motivate them to go in of an evening.
smile.png

Super cute! and i agree with ML, be mindful with that wire the lower part is okay but i would down it too as reach ins are possible, next that chicken wire on the top section? what do you have for predators?

Its fencing as a foundation all around, then all sides (except the side where predators cant reach them ) are covered with chiken wire top and bottom, then the side predators csn reach have another layer of fencing, where putting up an electric fence a couple of feet from the pen, and ive installed cameras and tin cans haha im tryin to be as on top of it as can be ;)

Back
Top Bottom