Song Birds As Defence?

DaveMcLaren

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
So, I recently heard someone say "Oh look, the little ones are chasing the hawk away". Boom- Moment of inspiration! How have I never thought of (or read anyone else talk about) using song birds to keep the flock safe? I realize this plan has some minor holes in it, but I think it could work. The practice of mobbing is common among song birds across the world. I just need to facilitate nesting of the desired breeds by making suitable bird houses. I'll try it as soon as I can and post an update. Please join me!

I've encouraged crows and ravens by throwing out dead mice I've caught in traps. They hang around the area because of it, and it's awesome great fun to watch them jetting after a hawk that's wandered into their territory. My chickens have become accustomed to their calls and no longer are afraid of the crows and ravens.

So, I recently heard someone say "Oh look, the little ones are chasing the hawk away". Boom- Moment of inspiration! How have I never thought of (or read anyone else talk about) using song birds to keep the flock safe? I realize this plan has some minor holes in it, but I think it could work. The practice of mobbing is common among song birds across the world. I just need to facilitate nesting of the desired breeds by making suitable bird houses. I'll try it as soon as I can and post an update. Please join me!
Here most song birds migrate south for the winter.

Be careful as wild birds can bring in diseases to your flock, so you don't want to encourage them too much.

I feed the birds in the winter but my feeders are far away from my chickens.

I would not use them but if you have crows around then make friends with them as they are territorial and will chase off the hawks. We have a murder of crows that is about 10-15 in size that protects our little backyard. We no longer have to worry about hawks for the most part. Every now and then there is an hawk but they don't try anything.

I would not use them but if you have crows around then make friends with them as they are territorial and will chase off the hawks. We have a murder of crows that is about 10-15 in size that protects our little backyard. We no longer have to worry about hawks for the most part. Every now and then there is an hawk but they don't try anything.
Beware of the crow. I had them snatching chicks one year. They can be just as predatory as hawks.

We keep our ducklings inside till they are 3 months old. That really sucks, I'm sorry that happened to you.
I did learn my lesson. That crow would continue to come back yearly in the spring and fly over daily for a few years afterwards. I now keep chicks confined until they are a bit older.

So, I recently heard someone say "Oh look, the little ones are chasing the hawk away". Boom- Moment of inspiration! How have I never thought of (or read anyone else talk about) using song birds to keep...

All you are going to attract with a mob of songbirds on your property is Marek's Disease, chicken mites, and the occasional chicken hawk. You may as well try to plant a corn crop in a hog pen as try to keep chickens around mobs of song birds.

Back
Top Bottom