Sonic No Bark thing on TV

pbjmaker

Crowing
11 Years
May 9, 2008
Central Iowa
Has anyone seen that commercial for that little thing they have that emits some super sonic sound that gets dogs to quit barking? Do you think it works?

I have a bichon that is really well behaved EXCEPT when she gets excited about going out, or coming in she cannot stop barking. She used to bark excessively at the mailman but after two years I think she is over that
roll.png

I let the dogs out at 5:15 am and don't like her barking like that and potentially bothering the neighbors. It also sometimes gets my other dogs riled up and then they start barking.

Other training tips would be awesome.

If you have other dogs, they will hear it just as well and they would be "getting punished" for what ever they may be doing at the time you push the button.

As far as the device - we carry them where I work and I've had lots of people say they tried them and they didn't work at all.

Doing some work with her to stay quiet when going to the door would probably help. Sits and downs sometimes help to stop barking. Teaching quiet as a command. Practice at times when she doesn't HAVE to go out. Often and at different times might help her to learn to stay calm (not bark) when it's the real time to go out.

Might take some time depending on how long she has been doing the behavior.

Quote:
I've worked with her on not barking at the mailman. The problem with doing it when doesn't have to go out is that she always thinks she wants to go out. I could whisper the word outside from another state and she would hear it and go into a frenzy. It is the one time I can't get her to even sit, she is so worked up. In fact just putting on different shoes is a signal to her. Once she goes out, patrols the yard for squirrell intruders then she wants back in. As long as she can't see me she sits patiently by the fence, but once she hears the door or sees me she starts barking and whining.
We have had her for around 3 years. Got her as a owner release from a friend of a friend when she was around 8 months old. She had lived in a crate most of her life. She has come a LONG way since we got her.

My neighbor is at war with one of my dogs. When he was in a good mood once, he gave me a sonic collar for her. It did manage to confuse her the first few times. Then she ignored it. The sonic doodad lasted about one week since it could not stand up to the wear and tear of being attached to a lazy brown dog.

One thing that might work, if you don't go nuts on the way to it working, is to refuse to let her out until she is quiet. You might have to really listen for that moment. But at present, she likely has deduced that her barking is causing you to open the door.

I bought just a regular bark collar at the pet store. It has little probes that touch her skin.. It delivers a little shock whenever she barks for no good reason. If something is really wrong or someone is in my driveway or something like that.. It will not shock her. It reads the range of sound that the bark has and can distinguish the difference between an incessant bark, and a "something is seriously wrong" bark.. Hope that all made sense. But it worked great and was inexpensive... Plus whenever I took it off of her, she would still mind her P's and Q's before barking just because she felt like it.

To get her to quit barking so much at the mail man took a long time. When I was home and she started barking at him, I would call all the dogs for a treat, pat her, thank her for the warning then give her a treat. I also had the mailman give her a treat a few times so she would think he was her friend. Now she only barks a couple of times at him then I tell her thank you and she hops down.

I realize that she is associating her barking with me opening the door/gate, but I could wait for hours and she would still be barking. I have tried turning my back on her and just going back in. That seems to have no affect. It isn't just barking it is the barking dancing spinning frenzy.

Did I tell you she is stubborn as all get out?

Ms.FuzzyButts :

I bought just a regular bark collar at the pet store. It has little probes that touch her skin.. It delivers a little shock whenever she barks for no good reason. If something is really wrong or someone is in my driveway or something like that.. It will not shock her. It reads the range of sound that the bark has and can distinguish the difference between an incessant bark, and a "something is seriously wrong" bark.. Hope that all made sense. But it worked great and was inexpensive... Plus whenever I took it off of her, she would still mind her P's and Q's before barking just because she felt like it.

Do you know what kind it is? I hate to shock her but....

I should video tape how crazy she gets.​

Back
Top Bottom