Soooo confused about municipal code UPDATE

MN Chicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Minnesota
The code in my town states nothing about permits to own poultry, and nothing about where to put coops, or noise, or roosters, or anything....except what it costs to get them back if they are running at large....15 cents a day per bird to be exact. So. My mom works at the vet clinic that animal control works out of, and the ACO told her that it is illegal in my town to own them, and that coops need building inspectors, etc. Now I am confused. Why would they only mention whatt he cost is to get them back, and why would they give them back, if they are illegal? Am I safe? Is the ACO just a turd? I see chickens all over the neighborhood, and have for years.

UPDATE April 13, 2010

My request for a change of ordinance has passed the first phase. They are sending it to the planning and commission board. Turns out chickens were legal 6 years ago, and the code allowing them was removed to "clean up the code." There was no specific problem with them here, they just thought there was no interest in owning them. So, our chickens are going to live on a farm until it is legal for me to build a coded coop.
smile.png

Last edited:
You are likely looking in the wrong place. It could be under zoning code or general ordinances for the city. Also, read the rules of construction at the very beginning--Many cities disallow EVERYTHING that is not specifically allowed.

The allow buildings to be built, but they need to be assessed for construction value (that would cost us $23), and then a visit by a building inspector is required. I am calling city hall in the morning to be sure...otherwise we are going outlaw.
cool.png

I was going through your municipal code (yes i'm completely a geek) and not getting any further than you - and then it occurred to me.

You should talk to animal control again - and get a supervisor - and ask them to provide you with the code prohibiting chickens. If they can enforce the law, they ought also to be able to show you where it's found.

Quote:
Rick, the guy my mom is friends with is the main guy...but my mom says he is a sorry sap to say the least. I don't think a code exists. I found lots of building codes, something about accessory buildings and their size, but nothing about keeping chickens. I think Rick just likes to talk about things before knowing what is true...we do have a problem with cock fighting around here, and maybe he is confusing those chickens being illegal with all chickens being illegal.

Thank for looking through the codes!

Quote:
Rick, the guy my mom is friends with is the main guy...but my mom says he is a sorry sap to say the least. I don't think a code exists. I found lots of building codes, something about accessory buildings and their size, but nothing about keeping chickens. I think Rick just likes to talk about things before knowing what is true...we do have a problem with cock fighting around here, and maybe he is confusing those chickens being illegal with all chickens being illegal.

Thank for looking through the codes!

I know those kind of people.
wink.png
Good luck with your new babies!

UPDATE-

I called city hall to get some answers. I had 2 separate women say that keeping chickens in prohibited because they are livestock, but when I asked them what the specific code was that said that, they had no answer. I then brought up the animal control code that stated that if your poultry is found running at large that it costs 15 cents a day per bird. I asked them why on earth animal control would give you chickens back if they were illegal.
lol.png
They both transferred me to another person. I ended up being transferred to code enforcement officers who are not in until tomorrow....so the saga continues.
hmm.png

There are literally chickens in yards everywhere around here...and I am keeping my chickens darn it!

According to the zoning laws at the link you provided:

Chickens are considered domestic farm animals and are allowed to be kept only on existing farm property, further the rules of construction prohibit any use not specifically permitted.

So the question becomes what is the zoned use for your property?

Time to see a zoning map. Further you need to see if there are any nasties in the way of deeded restrictions or association "issues".

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom