SORRY two posts today - forgive me (bullying at bedtime)

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Is it normal for the bedtime pecking-order routine to be SO violent? I have a few who are really mean - one in particular - at bedtime and goes out of her way to try to peck others passing underneath or looking for a place to perch, I have also added 4 to my flock (in July as babies) so they are around 16 weeks old, and I believe they have plenty of perching space, but if they so much as set foot on a perch, some of the others will literally move way over to where they are just to peck them off. Watching it on the camera is traumatic and my dark brahma adult isn't even getting up there these days - they play "keep away" and won't let her on any of the 3 perches we have

Is it normal for the bedtime pecking-order routine to be SO violent? I have a few who are really mean - one in particular - at bedtime and goes out of her way to try to peck others passing underneath or looking for a place to perch, I have also added 4 to my flock (in July as babies) so they are around 16 weeks old, and I believe they have plenty of perching space, but if they so much as set foot on a perch, some of the others will literally move way over to where they are just to peck them off. Watching it on the camera is traumatic and my dark brahma adult isn't even getting up there these days - they play "keep away" and won't let her on any of the 3 perches we have
Sorry about your chicken drama ♡. Photos of your set up and # of chickens and a little history would be helpful.

Sorry about your chicken drama ♡. Photos of your set up and # of chickens and a little history would be helpful.
Here ya go!
1698075143566.jpeg

It looks like a tight fit for the space you have compared to the amount of birds using it.

If the bars are in even height, use a long tarp, cardboard, bath towel, whatever you have on hand and tack it over the 3 bars to make a partition. So your creating a private space on each bar. Use your judgment and observation to best set it up. It does work I have used this method to keep the peace in my coop.

I don't think you have enough roosting area for your babies ♡ I think the rule of thumb is 12" per bird. I think you can go slightly less than that but not by much. What makes it harder is the new kids... there has to be a pecking order ♡♡ someone's gotta be the boss (sour face) and someone has to be 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc in command.
I am actually surprised that they have done so well... well, winter is coming so you are going to need to figure something out.
Another rule of thumb is 4sq' per bird in the coop and 10sq' in the run. I see 12 beautifully girls. 12 x 1, you need a total 12lf' of roost, 48sq' of coop and 120sq' of run minimum. So, there is a start ♡

I personally keep a mini coop (I'm a fair weather keeper) for additional breathing room. It has helped with integration, cliques, molts etc

I don't think you have enough roosting area for your babies ♡ I think the rule of thumb is 12" per bird. I think you can go slightly less than that but not by much. What makes it harder is the new kids... there has to be a pecking order ♡♡ someone's gotta be the boss (sour face) and someone has to be 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th etc in command.
I am actually surprised that they have done so well... well, winter is coming so you are going to need to figure something out.
Another rule of thumb is 4sq' per bird in the coop and 10sq' in the run. I see 12 beautifully girls. 12 x 1, you need a total 12lf' of roost, 48sq' of coop and 120sq' of run minimum. So, there is a start ♡

I personally keep a mini coop (I'm a fair weather keeper) for additional breathing room. It has helped with integration, cliques, molts etc
that is a great idea Maybe I add a smaller coop for 4 chickens. I do notice that the smaller "mini coops" say that they are good for 2-4 birds but full grown chickens - I would be hard pressed to put two in there - no real roosting room and usually two little nesting boxes and a pull out tray. We have 280 square feet of run space but the coop is around 6x5 so maybe not quite optimal and may be the reason for our scuffles

Just counted out the roost space - we have two roosts that are about 48 inches long and another that goes perpendicular that is about 3 feet. so I think I have about 132 feet of roosting space. I wonder if I put little plywood dividers halfway across the two longer roosts as just blinders like SueT suggested!

Back
Top Bottom