SOS I think my chick might have Cocci?

Tori1133

Songster
Jan 25, 2021
Griffith, Ontario
Hey guys! Looking for some SOS advice here, we have a young (9wks) chick who this morning has just become extremely lethargic and basically unresponsive šŸ˜” we really love this chick, and are doing everything we can to save her.

Backstory:
She came from the breeder at 1wk old along with her sibling who has been 100% healthy this whole time and still seems very healthy and alert today. They also were vaccinated by the breeder.
She had some diarrhea as a young chick and we kept an eye on it but never saw any blood so werenā€™t too concerned, just cleaned up her feathers and made sure she didnā€™t have pasty butt and all that. She otherwise seemed very healthy, curious, active etc.
She did have some sort of odd behaviours, which at the time I thought were just her personality quirks but now Iā€™m wondering if she has just been sick this whole time. Her name is Silva and we nicknamed her ā€œsleepy Silvaā€ because she was very laid back and would close her eyes a lotā€¦ she also was much more docile than her sibling and would relax and sleep in our hands which we just thought was cute and that she was a calm, affectionate chicken but now I am thinking maybe she was just slowly getting sick šŸ˜ž She also seemed to always be more thirsty than her sibling. I had a weird gut feeling about her not being well for a little bit now but didnā€™t see any signs big enough to trust my gut as I do tend to over worry about my animals. ugh šŸ˜£

so this morning I went to the coop and she was on the floor not up on the roost with her brother. I picked her up and she was very limp and not acting like a chicken, we brought her in and have her in a warm space, tried offering water but she doesnā€™t drink, she has opened her eyes a few times but mostly just sleeps. We were thinking it might be Cocci and so we went and got some Amprol. She still hasnā€™t pooped at all since she has been in here since 7am.

So I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts or advice, do you think that it is possible to bring her back?? Does this sound like cocci to you guys or something else maybe? She seems dehydrated to me as well, and I wanted to feed her some electrolytes (I read sugar water, salt and baking soda or something?) but wasnā€™t sure if that would be okay to do alongside the amprolium.

Also I attached a photo of her with her sibling yesterday and now her today, the difference was pretty drastic and sudden. Yesterday she was out foraging and playing with her brother like normal.

Sorry for the long post I just really love this chicken and want her to live if she can! Any advice or thoughts are so appreciated ā¤ļøšŸ™

Attachments

• 3F98EE68-DD52-4AB6-BA18-07D88BCBCE9E.jpeg
    3F98EE68-DD52-4AB6-BA18-07D88BCBCE9E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9
  • A416EED9-DB68-45AC-BF07-D516E00A7A72.jpeg
    A416EED9-DB68-45AC-BF07-D516E00A7A72.jpeg
    509.4 KB · Views: 4
(9wks) chick who this morning has just become extremely lethargic and basically unresponsive

She also seemed to always be more thirsty than her sibling.

We were thinking it might be Cocci and so we went and got some Amprol. She still hasnā€™t pooped at all since she has been in here since 7am.

She seems dehydrated to me as well, and I wanted to feed her some electrolytes

She wonā€™t eat or drink anything :/ we have started giving her some water with the dosage of Amprol with a syringe, we have given her 8ml of water in the past 20minutes. Her crop was full and a bit hard but then after the water it is softer!!
Please tell us what her crop feels like. If she poops a photo of that too.

I agree with you treating for Coccidiosis. Get a photo of the Amprol that you have - you are in Canada, so we need to know so we can help you with dosing.

I would not add electrolytes to the water, only the Amprol. Keep syringing the medicated water into her.

What are you feeding? Label for the product? Do your chicks have access to grit (crushed granite)?

What strength is the Amprol? Is the Amprollium liquid or powder? If liquid you could give 0.1 ml orally with a syringe daily for a boost. Or you could mix a little powder in a few drops of Amprol.

Hey guys! Looking for some SOS advice here, we have a young (9wks) chick who this morning has just become extremely lethargic and basically unresponsive šŸ˜” we really love this chick, and are doing everything we can to save her.

Backstory:
She came from the breeder at 1wk old along with her sibling who has been 100% healthy this whole time and still seems very healthy and alert today. They also were vaccinated by the breeder.
She had some diarrhea as a young chick and we kept an eye on it but never saw any blood so werenā€™t too concerned, just cleaned up her feathers and made sure she didnā€™t have pasty butt and all that. She otherwise seemed very healthy, curious, active etc.
She did have some sort of odd behaviours, which at the time I thought were just her personality quirks but now Iā€™m wondering if she has just been sick this whole time. Her name is Silva and we nicknamed her ā€œsleepy Silvaā€ because she was very laid back and would close her eyes a lotā€¦ she also was much more docile than her sibling and would relax and sleep in our hands which we just thought was cute and that she was a calm, affectionate chicken but now I am thinking maybe she was just slowly getting sick šŸ˜ž She also seemed to always be more thirsty than her sibling. I had a weird gut feeling about her not being well for a little bit now but didnā€™t see any signs big enough to trust my gut as I do tend to over worry about my animals. ugh šŸ˜£

so this morning I went to the coop and she was on the floor not up on the roost with her brother. I picked her up and she was very limp and not acting like a chicken, we brought her in and have her in a warm space, tried offering water but she doesnā€™t drink, she has opened her eyes a few times but mostly just sleeps. We were thinking it might be Cocci and so we went and got some Amprol. She still hasnā€™t pooped at all since she has been in here since 7am.

So I am wondering if anyone has some thoughts or advice, do you think that it is possible to bring her back?? Does this sound like cocci to you guys or something else maybe? She seems dehydrated to me as well, and I wanted to feed her some electrolytes (I read sugar water, salt and baking soda or something?) but wasnā€™t sure if that would be okay to do alongside the amprolium.

Also I attached a photo of her with her sibling yesterday and now her today, the difference was pretty drastic and sudden. Yesterday she was out foraging and playing with her brother like normal.

Sorry for the long post I just really love this chicken and want her to live if she can! Any advice or thoughts are so appreciated ā¤ļøšŸ™
Coccidiosis doesn't always have the symptom of Bloody Diarrhea. Occasionally the only symptom is bubbly diarrhea.

Electrolytes can be given during the treatment as long as there's no vitamins.

Does she feel skinny at all?

Is she awake or sleeping? Does she stay limp when you pick her up and not make any noise? And are here feathers ruffled at all?
She is sleeping I think, she doesnā€™t make any noise at all, but she does react slightly when I pick her up like moves or balances herself a bit and has opened her eyes a couple times. Her feathers seem pretty normal to me

Coccidiosis doesn't always have the symptom of Bloody Diarrhea. Occasionally the only symptom is bubbly diarrhea.

Electrolytes can be given during the treatment as long as there's no vitamins.

Does she feel skinny at all?
I find it a bit hard to tell if she feels skinnyā€¦ she has seemed relatively normal to me but she is smaller than her sibling, we were thinking that the sibling was a rooster hence being bigger than her but maybe it is the cocci making her a bit smaller??

I find it a bit hard to tell if she feels skinnyā€¦ she has seemed relatively normal to me but she is smaller than her sibling, we were thinking that the sibling was a rooster hence being bigger than her but maybe it is the cocci making her a bit smaller??
Both appear to be pullets.

There maybe something else going on with her, but I'd go ahead, & treat for Coccidiosis as a just in case.

Treatment for coccidiosis canā€™t hurt. Is she eating or drinking? How is her crop? Empty? Full? Squishy? Hard?
She wonā€™t eat or drink anything :/ we have started giving her some water with the dosage of Amprol with a syringe, we have given her 8ml of water in the past 20minutes. Her crop was full and a bit hard but then after the water it is softer!!

Back
Top Bottom