Sour crop doesn't go away.

Pahlavinka

In the Brooder
May 19, 2018
I have 1 chicken in my flock that has sour crop. It won't go away. I held her upside down and made her vomit. It was green bile. 2 days later the exact same thing. But this time I didn't give her food for 12 hours. She was better but them today... of course. She needed to be puked again. This time it was just partially digested chicken feed though. What do I do? If it's impacted I can't take her to a vet. I just need to put her down. It's getting ridiculous. And yes I feed all of them grit. I did run out for about a month. But like I said. She's the only one with this problem.

@azygous is the crop expert.

Until she(?)'s available, though:

Don't make your chicken puke. They can choke.

Nystatin kills the yeast that may have caused this problem; it's available over-the-counter in some places. You should confirm that the problem is yeast, rather than a bacterial imbalance, first, though. Have you fed antibiotics or made any changes to their diet that might have caused such an imbalance?

Coconut oil or shortening can help lubricate things a bit, especially if there's a blockage. You could use vegetable oil, but it's easy for a chicken to choke on oil.

@Wyorp Rock @Eggcessive @casportpony?

I have 1 chicken in my flock that has sour crop. It won't go away. I held her upside down and made her vomit. It was green bile. 2 days later the exact same thing. But this time I didn't give her food for 12 hours. She was better but them today... of course. She needed to be puked again. This time it was just partially digested chicken feed though. What do I do? If it's impacted I can't take her to a vet. I just need to put her down. It's getting ridiculous. And yes I feed all of them grit. I did run out for about a month. But like I said. She's the only one with this problem.

Does she have sour smelling breath?
How old is she?
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Vomiting a chicken will not take care of sour crop. If it's sour, then there is a yeast or fungal infection that will need to be treated.
Feel the crop and tell us what it's like - is it hard, soft, squishy, doughy, empty, full, air or fluid filled.

I would cage her so you can monitor her more closely. Make sure she is drinking. Offer her some coconut oil and massage the crop.
Sometime you need to give an anti-fungal. Nystatin can be given or you can use vaginal yeast cream as described in the following links.

Crop issues cannot be resolved in a day or two. It may take a week or even more depending on the cause. Patience and persistence will be needed to get your girl back into shape.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Crop issues are almost always secondary to something else, like coccidiosis, worms, bacterial infections, cancer, or other diseases. It's been my experience that it's rarely just yeast.

Some questions for you...
Can you post a picture of her poop?
Can you start weighing her daily?
How old is she?

Last edited:
She is about 6 months old. Doesn't lay cause she was born in June. Maybe will start soon. I wormed every chicken in early November. It's now January. I am willing to try the copper sulfate or nystatin.I know that will work. I call bologna on all the apple cider vinegar stuff. I tried seperating her for just a day. But I suppose it will probably have to be for a week.

She is about 6 months old. Doesn't lay cause she was born in June. Maybe will start soon. I wormed every chicken in early November. It's now January. I am willing to try the copper sulfate or nystatin.I know that will work. I call bologna on all the apple cider vinegar stuff. I tried seperating her for just a day. But I suppose it will probably have to be for a week.
If you are 100% sure it's just a yeast infection I would like to suggest that you get some nystatin and ketoconazole and treat it with both medications.

I mean I really don't know. She acts pretty normal. Except when she eats too much she jerks her head like she wants to vomit. She kind of steers clear of the rest of the flock but not in a way a sick hen does. More like an instinctive need to forage. Like she's hungry. But it doesn't seem like she's lost weight. I just don't want to give her the wrong medication and have to start all over. If I'm gonna deworm I might as well deworm all of them. Trying to do something that's relatively easy.

Back
Top Bottom