Sour crop doesn't go away.

She is about 6 months old. Doesn't lay cause she was born in June. Maybe will start soon. I wormed every chicken in early November. It's now January. I am willing to try the copper sulfate or nystatin.I know that will work. I call bologna on all the apple cider vinegar stuff. I tried seperating her for just a day. But I suppose it will probably have to be for a week.
I was just going to ask, I keep hearing apple cider vinegar keeps sour crop away. No dice, huh?

She is about 6 months old. Doesn't lay cause she was born in June. Maybe will start soon. I wormed every chicken in early November. It's now January. I am willing to try the copper sulfate or nystatin.I know that will work. I call bologna on all the apple cider vinegar stuff. I tried seperating her for just a day. But I suppose it will probably have to be for a week.

I mean I really don't know. She acts pretty normal. Except when she eats too much she jerks her head like she wants to vomit. She kind of steers clear of the rest of the flock but not in a way a sick hen does. More like an instinctive need to forage. Like she's hungry. But it doesn't seem like she's lost weight. I just don't want to give her the wrong medication and have to start all over. If I'm gonna deworm I might as well deworm all of them. Trying to do something that's relatively easy.
Where are you located (state/country)?
What do you feed?
Photos of your pullet and her poop would be helpful.

I agree with @casportpony most of the time a crop problem is a symptom so figuring out the cause is always a good idea.
Is she lethargic?

I would start out by doing something basic like caging her for a couple of days. Put her on puppy pads so you can see her poop easily. Provide her with water. Give her 1 teaspoon coconut oil and massage the crop. Massage the crop gently several time more through out the day. I usually give another teaspoon coconut oil before roosting time. If she is complaining loudly, she can have a little wet soupy feed. No scratch, no seeds, no whole grains - nothing that really has to be processed.
See if the crop is empty in the morning.
If it's not, then re-evaluate. Hydration is very important, she should not be without water during waking hours.

If you can have a fecal float performed that would be a good idea.

I was just going to ask, I keep hearing apple cider vinegar keeps sour crop away. No dice, huh?
I think apple cider vinegar is a bunch of hippie holistic nonsense. She has an infection. She needs real medicine. If you had worms or a yeast infection are you gonna take medicine or eat garlic and oregano?

Where are you located (state/country)?
What do you feed?
Photos of your pullet and her poop would be helpful.

I agree with @casportpony most of the time a crop problem is a symptom so figuring out the cause is always a good idea.
Is she lethargic?

I would start out by doing something basic like caging her for a couple of days. Put her on puppy pads so you can see her poop easily. Provide her with water. Give her 1 teaspoon coconut oil and massage the crop. Massage the crop gently several time more through out the day. I usually give another teaspoon coconut oil before roosting time. If she is complaining loudly, she can have a little wet soupy feed. No scratch, no seeds, no whole grains - nothing that really has to be processed.
See if the crop is empty in the morning.
If it's not, then re-evaluate. Hydration is very important, she should not be without water during waking hours.

If you can have a fecal float performed that would be a good idea.

I'm in PA. Near Lehigh county. Honestly she is not lethargic. She acts pretty normal. Just this crop problem. I think I'm gonna put all of them on a round of fenbendazole just to be safe. I'll get something for the fungal infection once that's sorted.

I'm in PA. Near Lehigh county. Honestly she is not lethargic. She acts pretty normal. Just this crop problem. I think I'm gonna put all of them on a round of fenbendazole just to be safe. I'll get something for the fungal infection once that's sorted.
It would be good to treat the crop in conjunction with deworming.

You don't think that's too much on their systems at once?
Well, you have one with sour crop correct?
There usually is an underlying cause (worms, coccidiosis, reproductive problems, infection, etc.) but if the crop has gone "sour" then she probably has yeast/fungal infection along with whatever else is going on.

Fenbendazole is a dewormer (anthelmintic) while Nystatin is an antifungal medication.
IF you think that she has a worm infestation that is causing inflammation or slowing the digestive process -makes the crop not empty/turns sour, then you would want to treat for worms, but the sour crop (yeast/fungus) needs to be addressed as well.

Well, you have one with sour crop correct?
There usually is an underlying cause (worms, coccidiosis, reproductive problems, infection, etc.) but if the crop has gone "sour" then she probably has yeast/fungal infection along with whatever else is going on.

Fenbendazole is a dewormer (anthelmintic) while Nystatin is an antifungal medication.
IF you think that she has a worm infestation that is causing inflammation or slowing the digestive process -makes the crop not empty/turns sour, then you would want to treat for worms, but the sour crop (yeast/fungus) needs to be addressed as well.
I can't seem to find any internal fungicide for livestock anywhere. Not even for cattle or goats. Will food grade copper sulfate work?

Back
Top Bottom