Sour crop doesn't go away.

Okay. So when you say mineral oil you mean what vets use? Should that be specifically what I use. I heard of using olive oil.
I do have safeguard and medicated feed for emergencies. I just need something for this yeast infection. I gave her some fenbendazole pellets for goats. Crushed up and mixed with chick starter for about 2 days. Problem seems to persist.

I do have safeguard and medicated feed for emergencies. I just need something for this yeast infection. I gave her some fenbendazole pellets for goats. Crushed up and mixed with chick starter for about 2 days. Problem seems to persist.
Also she does drink water. But not in the mornings. Only late in the day before roosting. So I'm probably going to have to do this all manually I suppose. Which I'm open to. But I really can't for a whole week 3 times a day.

:hugs I sense your frustration, so sorry.

• She's a young hen, so cancer is unlikely.
  • If she is pooping it means her crop is almost certainly not impacted.
  • If she were mine i would de-worm with Safeguard or Valbazen and treat for coccidiosis, weigh daily, and I would tube lots of fluids and maybe some mineral oil too.
Doing nothing or euthanasia are options too.
Flucanazole and ketocanazole are prescription only. Can I use ketocanazole cream and give it orally? And if so what is safe to use.

Okay. So when you say mineral oil you mean what vets use? Should that be specifically what I use. I heard of using olive oil.
Mineral oil is what vets use and I think they use it instead of olive oil because I don't think the body digests mineral oil, but it does digest cooking oils. Giving oil of any type is risky because if they aspirate some they could get an untreatable type pneumonia called lipoid pneumonia.

It would be best if you could give her liquid wormer because the goat pellets don't have enough medication in them to de-worm chickens.

Last edited:
It would be best if you could give her liquid wormer because the goat pellets don't have enough medication in the to de-worm chickens.
Yea I have that. I gave her the pellets cause she wasn't drinking until the end of the day and their water freezes. That's why I usually worm them before it gets freezing cold. Coop is too far to get electric out there.

Mineral oil is what vets use and I think they use it instead of olive oil because I don't think the body digests mineral oil, but it does digest cooking oils. Giving oil of any type is risky because if they aspirate some they could get an untreatable type pneumonia called lipoid pneumonia.
Yea I feel a little uncomfortable doing it. That's why I haven't yet. Isn't mineral oil a fungicide preventative as well? That what they use for spraying on plants.

Yea I have that. I gave her the pellets cause she wasn't drinking until the end of the day and their water freezes. That's why I usually worm them before it gets freezing cold. Coop is too far to get electric out there.
I meant give the Safeguard orally, not in the water. I would give her 0.23 ml per pound orally for five consecutive days. How much does she weigh?

Back
Top Bottom