Sour crop- is it to late to save her?

Pics
So sorry that she didn't make it. :( You did everything you could to try and save her, I hope you can rest easy knowing that. Some people may think that's too much effort for a chicken....but everyone around here totally understands and is right there with you! They do bring a lot of joy and fun and are sweet little things. You loved her very well.

Some think I’m crazy to have put that much effort into a chicken but you know what, I’d do it again. They are loveable, sweet and funny little balls of feathers that bring joy to my life. I truly appreciate all of you!
Aw, I'm sorry to hear that little Gracie lost her battle, but I'm also relieved to know both that she's no longer suffering and also that your anxiety is at an end. And no, we don't think you overdid your care for her, we have heard of carers who have gone way above and beyond for theor feathered friends! We really come to care for them, that's all. Thanks for trying so hard. She couldn't have been in better hands. ❤

I might just add that for a sour crop full of liquid that fails to empty after one or two days on miconazole, it's probably due to more yeast than the amount of miconazole is able to tackle. Increasing the dose to double the amount or keeping to the same amount but giving it three times a day will usually start conquering the yeast. Once the yeast is reduced, the crop will empty rather dramatically on its own without trying to invert the chicken and making her vomit to empty the crop. Even if you succeed in making a chicken vomit without her aspirating any liquid, it only comes right back because it's the yeast overrunning the crop that is causing it to fill up.

By the way, some say you should withhold food and water. Not necessary. The patient usually doesn't feel like eating or drinking for one thing, and when she feels ready to eat, she will not over indulge to her detriment. Just make her regular feed available with access to fresh water. She will probably enjoy some Greek yogurt since she will crave it to replenish her system with good microbes. Giving a probiotic tablet will help in lieu of yogurt.
AZY i need help and im praying u see this. I apologize for jumping on someone elses thread. I have a 3 yr old gir whose lost a massive 400gms and is in heavy moult. I took her to vets. Prescribed amoxycillian, cocci treatment. Nothing is working.
Her crop is huge this last wk only barely half emptying has nil appetite even for eggs but is drinking lots. Her crop is si full she throws her head back nearly onto her back. The crop is boggy. She poos only huge fluid amounts. I am convinced it isntbacterial at all but fungal. In a last ditch effort I was going to try and vomit her. Clear it out but after reading your stuff i am hesitant too. We r nearly at Euthanasia point. No vets open today but what if its just sour crop??? Question i have dizole tabs in 150mg and 200mg for thrush for humans. Can i give her it. I have no other medications to treat fungal. She is hanging on. Wants to be here. Plz help me with any advice. I cant even crop needle her food neo care the vet wanted because her crop is to squishy and full of water. It gurgles.

I know it's tempting to want to empty the crop when it's so full. An alternative is to gently support the bottom of the crop with your hand and elevate it about an inch or so while gently agitating the crop with your fingers, trying to get it to empty a little. The crop "drain" is about a third of the way up from the bottom of the crop. Aim for that.

She may have pendulous crop, and may need a crop bra in order to get the crop to empty. Do start treating her with that thrush med. I'm not familiar with it, but it should be fine. If the crop won't empty after she's been on the dizole for a couple days, she needs a crop bra.

Yogurt would be a very good idea, but if she won't eat it, acidophillus tablets would work as well.

AZY i need help and im praying u see this. I apologize for jumping on someone elses thread. I have a 3 yr old gir whose lost a massive 400gms and is in heavy moult. I took her to vets. Prescribed amoxycillian, cocci treatment. Nothing is working.
Her crop is huge this last wk only barely half emptying has nil appetite even for eggs but is drinking lots. Her crop is si full she throws her head back nearly onto her back. The crop is boggy. She poos only huge fluid amounts. I am convinced it isntbacterial at all but fungal. In a last ditch effort I was going to try and vomit her. Clear it out but after reading your stuff i am hesitant too. We r nearly at Euthanasia point. No vets open today but what if its just sour crop??? Question i have dizole tabs in 150mg and 200mg for thrush for humans. Can i give her it. I have no other medications to treat fungal. She is hanging on. Wants to be here. Plz help me with any advice. I cant even crop needle her food neo care the vet wanted because her crop is to squishy and full of water. It gurgles.
I’m not sure of this would help or not.. I had a little girl who was drinking a lot and her crop was full, squishy and would make gurgling sounds. her poop was straight liquid no solids in it. I came across an Epsom salt flush because it could be an impaction in their gizzard that is causing a backup.. so I took 1 tsp Epsom salt and dissolved it in one ounce of warm water. I syringed the water to her. In about 4-6 hours her poops started to have bits of solids in it and within 12 hours she was eating food and pooping regular looking poops. Not sure if this is your little girl’s problem but it helped mine.

I have a 5 year old Buff Orpington who started acting lethargic about 6 days ago. I thought she was acting this way because it’s been freezing here in MN. The next day she was still acting the same and wouldn’t eat any treats. We brought her in and I noticed her crop was really hard.. so I massaged it and it then became really squishy firm like a water balloon. I didn’t notice any smell from her mouth so I thought we were making progress. The next morning her crop was the same. It didn’t go down but I could feel bits of something in there. I took her food and water away and kept massaging it periodically over 12 hours. It would make a gurgling noise. I gave her the water back and she wasn’t drinking much... I read on a previous post to give her a monistat suppository for yeast infection- giving her a 1/3 of it in the morning and a 1/3 at night. The next morning her crop was less swollen and I could smell a horrible poop smell from her mouth every time I massaged her crop. Her poop is almost non existent and very watery with little bits of dark green.. She was acting extremely lethargic so I gave her scrambled eggs with olive oil and the other 1/3 of the suppository, she seems to have a little bit more energy but not much.. her crop is huge again, full of air and little bits of something in there. I don’t know what to do and I know she’s not feeling well. Is it too late to save her?? Please help me so I can help this little girl.
May be old, but for future reference.. One tablespoon of baking soda per gallon to the waterer.. 'One' time should do the trick.. worked better than any doctoring I've done in the past and no muss no fuss.. Action was almost immediate.. Stopped feeding them bread too, seemed to be the culprit.. Although it occurred one time after, likely scratch.

Back
Top Bottom