Sour/pendulous crop

Thank you for that... I didn’t know about the electrolytes. So sadly I don’t think she will survive.
ever since her sour crop problem she has been underweight and hasn’t gained it back and now that she is going through this, her butt bones near her vent are becoming more pronounced and so is her keel bone.
i know I already asked but is there anything else I can do to try to save her? Could I give her a molasses flush or something like that (I’m not really sure what that is but I believe it has something to do with the crop)
Or should I tube feed? But she should be eating so maybe tube feeding would just make it worse since it is something with the crop or gizzard.

You can certainly try the molasses flush. One-fourth cup warm water with one teaspoon molasses stirred in. Have her drink it all.

Tube feeding is an option, but it's a temporary measure to get a chicken over the hurdle of being too weak to eat and supporting her until she can eat on her own. I've found that more than a couple days of tube feeding will get the sick hen dependent on it and she may not be hungry and have that drive her to have an appetite and eat on her own. It's a balancing act.

You can certainly try the molasses flush. One-fourth cup warm water with one teaspoon molasses stirred in. Have her drink it all.

Tube feeding is an option, but it's a temporary measure to get a chicken over the hurdle of being too weak to eat and supporting her until she can eat on her own. I've found that more than a couple days of tube feeding will get the sick hen dependent on it and she may not be hungry and have that drive her to have an appetite and eat on her own. It's a balancing act.
Thank you for that! So tomorrow I will try the molasses flush... can you tell me what it does again I forgot. And I don’t think I should tube feed then. It probably isn’t worth it since I would probably have to tube feed her for awhile.

Alright so I was able to do it but I have two questions:
What is the point of giving her the molasses and how often should I give it to her?

The molasses flush will stimulate the intestines to expel any material in them. It will clean out her innards. This in turn will hopefully ease the pressure on her crop and it will begin to empty normally again. The one time should be enough.

Alright so i have an exciting update:
the molasses flush seemed to work! So i believe i gave her the flush on Friday and then i had to leave Saturday and got back Sunday night to find that she had completely filled her crop. She was completely filled up and i had to bring her in but she ate and drank!
she has been showing a lot of interest in food and water lately and she hasn’t gained weight yet but she is back to life and should be gaining some soon. Thank you for your advice about the molasses, it was very helpful.
sadly though, i have a golden comet who has ascites and a tumor on her side it seems. I have made past threads about her and she had ascites quite a while ago and i gave her acv, water, oregano, and cinnamon and that made her ascites completely go away and i have given her that everyday since then with lily of he desert. Sadly it has come back though and this time she also has a tumor on her left side in her abdomen area. It is pretty hard and it bigger than a Quarter, probably if you cut a tennis ball in half (it would be a smaller than that but i cant think of anything else to compare it to). She still eats a bit but i can tell she is fading away.
I dont want to drain, is there anything else i can do for her? And also this is my third hen to have ascites in the past two years. Is it something i am doing to them Or giving them? I believe ascites is caused by right ventricle failure but i am not that educated in it.

This hen may be losing her fight. No shame in that. All lives must end at some point.

Ascites that returns, which most of the time it does, combined with the decline in behavior and fading appetite is a sign that she's on her way out, and you might consider assisting her to make that journey as short and painless as possible.

Back
Top Bottom