South Carolina

Wow I go camping for a weekend with the horse and you guys fill up all sorts of pages!
ep.gif
Got all caught up on reading so I feel more in touch with whats going on! Yes I got the maran eggs from Keith..hatch date next weekend...thats why i had to camp this weekend
lau.gif
and Keith works in Newberry but his chickens are in Lugoff. Also in the bator are silkie eggs from a buff roo with withe and buff hens...so maybe...not sure but will let you know! AMY if you have any extra JG hen chicks let me know or send them down the road with yancy...Big Daddy needs some girls of his own...lol
hide.gif

Okay I have some mutt eggs but I am in sumter...now who was looking for mutteggs?

Hey Nadine.... The babies are doing great. Growing like weeds. I am taking them to school tomorrow so they will be introduced to the children......all 160 of them as they come into the office. I have a gecko on my desk that they know about already, so when the word passes around that there are chicks....we will have visitors!! The eggs in the incubator in the office are due to hatch on the 10th.....the children will be excited about that. Anyone have any olive egg or dark choc eggs that they are selling?

Hope everyone has a great week....not too wet!!
Tink

You guys- we are getting a Great Pyrenees puppy this weekend! This is HUGE since my DH hates dogs! It's kind of a convoluted story, but the litter belongs to a guy who just doesn't want them, so someone else is taking care of them and placing the pups for him. They are keeping 2, so there are 2 that need homes (well, one now). And I think we might be getting this pup for free
th.gif
Even if she doesn't turn out to guard the chickens well and all she guards is the house, that'll be worth it! I don't normally give one whit about a dog being a purebred, but when it comes to an LGD, I have always wanted a Pyr. . . I am just overwhelmed at the moment.

Tink,
glad to hear all is going well! I am glad the babies are growing and doing well together.

I have a pen with an EE roo over EE hens, Olive Egger hens and a Marans hen. They are not laying very consistently right now but I will have eggs available from that pen soon enough and I will be setting some myself.
Most all my Marans eggs are pre-sold. Every once in a while I have someone back out but I am able to either go to the next person on the list or set them myself. I don;t want to set any right now though because I don't want to mix them up with mine. And little leg tags are so hard to keep up with on 40-60 chicks at a time.

AKsmama!!!! How fabulous!! They are the best dogs!
ya.gif
However, the training period can be frustrating. I was super lucky to have a friend give me Jolie, who was already trained. She is wonderful and today is having a total conniption because we are having our house re roofed and I have her in the new chicken pen (dog kennel). She hates it and wants to be out guarding the chickens against the roofers!
rant.gif

I will be getting another one of these days so Jolie can train it. She will be super at it, I am sure.
Joy can tell you all the headaches of new pups. Bless her heart, she has 2 that she is trying to get grown up enough to help with the chickens. I waited years because I knew pups take a while to learn. I am sure that given 18 months your pup will be a big asset to your chickens.

Quote:
DH & DD were watching Jolie at your house. She had her eye on a buzzard and would bark at it when it flew overhead. They loved seeing that! I would ask for one, too but if I got one it would have to stay at the farm instead of the house.

My dog has learned the alarm sound of the chickens....she hears it and wants to go outside and check them all
smile.png

IDK what she thinks she will do about anything though!
hu.gif

Yeah, I am afraid Jolie likes to bark at buzzards, blue herons and crows. I tell her the herons are okay but she knows that the crows can be bad to get baby chicks so she keeps them away as much as she can. Jolie never barks at the flocks of geese that fly over though. She has gotten after Starlings that came during the snow. She was not willing to let them share the chickens bread treats!

Back
Top Bottom