South Carolina

Thanks! Maybe I need to let my pup come live with you and Jolie for a while, since the best teachers are trained dogs! I know it will be a long and frustrating process, but I am determined. I am hoping to take an obedience course or two at Dog Trainer's Workshop in Fountain Inn. Connie Cleveland is fabulous, and I know she can help with the basics of obedience, but not sure if DTW can give me any guidance on LGD training. Gosh, I haven't even set eyes on this dog other than the little pictures my dad texted. The family that's keeping them has the flu running throughout their household right now, so that gives us a few days to get supplies and things together. My daughters are dying to go get her, though.

A Great Pyrs is not going to be very open to obedience training. They are bred for independent thinking. You can teach some basics but don't get upset when they won't listen. They are not followers but are instead better at figuring out problems such as how to get that blamed raccoon away from the barn or the hawk out of the tree.
Jolie comes when she is called, if she feels like it and hasn't other pressing matters on her at the moment. She will sit and lay down if she isn't eying the fence line or sky.
They are very smart dogs but haven't the same temperament as a German Shepard. I used to train Dobermans and show obedience. Those dogs are awesome but aren't very good on a farm or I would have 4 or 5. Jolie is the first LGD I have ever owned and as others here can tell you, they are sweet and beautiful! But I guess you already know that!
love.gif

And you are right, the best way for a LGD to learn is from an older more experienced one. That is why I plan on getting another before Jolie is too old. She is 3 now and when she is 5 I would like to get one for her to start with.

Aksmama- CONGRATS on the new puppy!!!! My Piper(aust shepxChow mix) is great with the chickens, well she likes the chickens and they are part of our home and this is where her protective nature comes in...So nothing comes near the house...I just hope I never raise squirrels cause it will not end well
gig.gif

UPDATE ON EGGS!! All 10 made it to LOCKDOWN!!
celebrate.gif
Now, the hard part to sit on my hands and wait (except to add water for humidity). Thursday won't get here soon enough.

ALSO, tonight I got 2 Red Junglefowl x Blk Australorp hybrid hens. 22 wks old and laying. They look EXACTLY like BAs just with reddish/white earlobes but lay brown eggs. They are a little flighty right now, but I'm hoping they will calm down once I add them to the free ranged mix flock. Well, either add them to that flock or put back in my new coop with the 4 Gold Comet girls....that new coop may just be a sorority house at least until my delawares get big enough to move back there.....

WHAT DO YALL THINK I SHOULD DO??
idunno.gif

Edited for typos.

Last edited by a moderator:
frow.gif

I am homeeee!
Back from Newberry.

All I can say is...DH better NEVER say a word about where I go to get birds or eggs!
smack.gif

DD & I just made a round trip of almost 163 miles. (162.8) FOR EGGS!!
th.gif

We stopped and had supper with my best friend and her daughter
smile.png
We had a good trip
smile.png

ETA: Honestly I do not think DH cares where I go to get mine
gig.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Congrats Aksmama! Pyrs are fantastic dogs, and I can even say that after mine have killed some of my chickens so you know they must be really special. I got mine at 3 months, they came from a working farm with all kinds of birds but as soon as they were away from the adult guardians they saw big, fluffy, chicken chew toys. They are now 1 year old and finally seem to be settling down a bit. But I realistically think it will be another year before they can work with my birds. They don't kill them anymore but given the chance they will hold them down and pull the feathers off of them. Your puppy will require an unreal amount of patience and I have a concern since you say your husband hates dogs. That a pretty strong comment and these dogs are hypersensitive. If your dog feels animosity from your husband there could very well be trouble. I have had german shephards, cocker spaniels, jack russells, beagles, chihuahuas, spitz - all kinds of dogs - in my life (and I love them all). But these are the smartest, most free thinking, stubborn, obstinate dogs I've ever worked with....ever! Sometimes I think I may not be smart enough to own them. Now keep in mind that I had my german shepherds and jack russells BEFORE I had chickens. These dogs now guard my chickens and share a yard with them. I never put a hand on the dogs, I believe in talking to them and using the fact that they love and respect me to get them to cooperate. That doesn't always work with the pyrs as they don't always CARE about what I think, imagine that! LOL They are really great at what they do though. And I would strongly recommend that if leaving your puppy with an adult working pyr is an option, you should go that route. I left mine with their parents just as long as I could. I tried to find another farm that would work with me, or loan me an adult dog, but that's hard to find. As for obedience training, the most important thing to teach while they're young (in my opinion) is "down" (they are jumpers), and walking on a leash and loading into a vehicle. After these dogs are grown, it's almost impossible to pick them up and put them in the car if they don't want you too. Unfortunately, both of my girls get carsick before we even get out of the driveway. They do not travel well and it makes vet visits a real chore. Don't expect an obedient dog, that seems to be the biggest disappointment with first time pyr owners. But you must remember that you don't want to train the "guardian" out of the dog. They must be free thinking to protect their charges and keep themselves safe. There are some fantastic stories about these wonderful dogs on the web. There's also some great pyrenees groups you could join and get great advice. Best of luck!! You are entering a new world, have fun. : )

Now to the S.C. chicken people - I have a request, do any of you raise Barnevelder chickens? I would love to find some fertile eggs, chicks or even an adult pair. Thanks!

Are they not just the prettist eggs though? And Keith is as nice as can be isn't he! Good luck, mine are due to hatch this weekend!

ChickyChicky - what kind of turkeys do you have? My 6 year old is begging for a pair of turkeys. LOL I would like to get him a young pair that he could socialize with and keep them friendly before they get bigger than he is.

Quote:
Big Breasted White. They are solid white. We have 2 right now. Our friend did have about 15 more. I think they are ugly compared to some other turkeys!

DH has a friend who used to work for a man with turkey barns. When they would load the 6-8 week old turkeys at night, some would not make it onto the truck, then go back into the barn after the truck left. So the friend would get the ones left behind & take them home to raise. They are big breasted white. I have a wish list of turkeys ( I want 2 breeds really......and these white ones are not one of them lol )

Ours are now about 5-6 months old. My daughter picked our tom up the other day and he is pretty big now!
Both birds will still eat out of our hands
smile.png

I would like to get bourbon reds & royal palms to have as pets
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom