South Carolina

Would you believe the chickens put on little funny skits kind of like Saturday Night Live?
lau.gif

we just went to our first in Morganton, NC

Lots of chickens strutting their stuff in cages. Standing there letting us watch and look them over.

RobertH
yuckyuck.gif

You can always tell RobertH from the first line in his posts. I love that humor.... I can't wait for the " Who's Layin Paylin in the coop Parody " skit.

Happy Halloween! I hope everyone was treated and not tricked!!!

Anyone have pheasants? I have a friend looking hard for a ring-neck roo...know anyone that has ring-neck pheasants that may have a roo?

I'm going to pick up my first pair of chickens next week! They'll be about 8 weeks old. What do I need to bring for them for the 2 hour ride home? I figured I'd use a pet carrier, but is smaller or bigger better? And I'd imagine they'll need food and water. Is fruit or mash better? Any help would be much appreciated!

I'm going to pick up my first pair of chickens next week! They'll be about 8 weeks old. What do I need to bring for them for the 2 hour ride home? I figured I'd use a pet carrier, but is smaller or bigger better? And I'd imagine they'll need food and water. Is fruit or mash better? Any help would be much appreciated!
About anything will work, cardboard box, pet carrier etc. they need enough room to move a little, but not so big they slide around. they will most likely huddle together anyway. I like some form of bedding in the bottom to make it easier to clean. shavings, raked leaves, even shredded paper towels (we use those when shipping dogs they are absorbent, and no chance of entanglement). Take a small plastic bag and ask for a couple of cups of what they are eating now. and ask what it is. Doesn't matter, just nice to know and it will tie you over till you can get the feed you want. probably grower/finisher since they are only 8 weeks old. Tractor supply usually has it in 5# 20# and 50# bags, or you might split some with one of us.

Best of luck

RobertH

by the way. that was MY OPINION. not necessarily the most correct.

Patsy were u folks at morganton last saturday????AB
No, Patsy and Samantha went to the swap instead of the show at Morganton this time around. Of course, Patsy should have stayed home and rested since she spent Friday at the hospital getting tests run to see what was going on with her. Had us all worried! Thank goodness she is okay now but still she needs to watch herself!

There were some of us there at Morganton though.

No, Patsy and Samantha went to the swap instead of the show at Morganton this time around. Of course, Patsy should have stayed home and rested since she spent Friday at the hospital getting tests run to see what was going on with her. Had us all worried! Thank goodness she is okay now but still she needs to watch herself!

There were some of us there at Morganton though.
Thanks Amy I went early didnt stay long found a bird that i wanted and left. Glad patsy is O.K.

Last edited:
Everybody got there early!
I was the one running late due to finding my Marans chicken tractor open for the umteenth time in 2 weeks. I thought a lock would stop the nonsense but it didn't. No birds taken but the grain was gone. Lock was missing on Sat. morning and I could not find it but since putting on a new heavy duty one and chaining the dog next to it, no more problems.
We are going to try and set up game cams in several places around the farm this weekend.

We made it to the show but it seems after most everyone had left. We got there about 10:30 and stayed until about 2:30 after we saw who all won.

About anything will work, cardboard box, pet carrier etc. they need enough room to move a little, but not so big they slide around. they will most likely huddle together anyway. I like some form of bedding in the bottom to make it easier to clean. shavings, raked leaves, even shredded paper towels (we use those when shipping dogs they are absorbent, and no chance of entanglement). Take a small plastic bag and ask for a couple of cups of what they are eating now. and ask what it is. Doesn't matter, just nice to know and it will tie you over till you can get the feed you want. probably grower/finisher since they are only 8 weeks old. Tractor supply usually has it in 5# 20# and 50# bags, or you might split some with one of us.

Best of luck

RobertH

by the way. that was MY OPINION. not necessarily the most correct.

Thank you Robert! How big are 8 week olds? I have a smaller cat carrier and a large dog wire kennel. I was thinking about using the kennel, but maybe that would be too big.

Back
Top Bottom