South Carolina

A few of us are headed for the poultry show in Barnwell this coming Sat. I hope we get to meet up with a few of you in the other part of the state.

I am showing my Mottled bantam Cochin hen, white d'Uccle hen and Booted Bantam Golden Neck rooster again. Kimberly is showing her Silkies and Nicole is taking some OEGB. I know Samantha is taking quite a few in several breeds.

Come on out and let's talk chickens!
Can't miss me, I always wear my West Knoll Farm t-shirt.

A few of us are headed for the poultry show in Barnwell this coming Sat. I hope we get to meet up with a few of you in the other part of the state.

I am showing my Mottled bantam Cochin hen, white d'Uccle hen and Booted Bantam Golden Neck rooster again. Kimberly is showing her Silkies and Nicole is taking some OEGB. I know Samantha is taking quite a few in several breeds.

Come on out and let's talk chickens!
Can't miss me, I always wear my West Knoll Farm t-shirt.
Best of luck to all of you.

A couple of questions for Silkie owners/breeders :)

How much room so Silkies need? ie do you follow the 4-5 square feet indoors and 10 square feet in a run rule?

And what is the best way to find a good broody hen? TIA!

A couple of questions for Silkie owners/breeders :)

How much room so Silkies need? ie do you follow the 4-5 square feet indoors and 10 square feet in a run rule?

And what is the best way to find a good broody hen? TIA!

I try to give my Silkies just as much as everything else. If not you run the risk of fighting and/or sickness.
People often have the misconception that the room is so they can spread their wings, so to speak. It is actually so they can avoid their own waste and they can avoid each other if the need arises. They really do not want to be stepping in feces or sleeping near it nor have to worry over on that is a bit grumpy. The more space you can give your birds the healthier and happier they will be. If they are the least bit crowded it will cause one problem after another.
Saying that, I can tell you my main Silkie coop is 5x5, with a roosting board that they do use. Their run is 20x30 and I have 6 Silkies in there with one of the hens caring for 3 newly hatched chicks.

I try to give my Silkies just as much as everything else. If not you run the risk of fighting and/or sickness.
People often have the misconception that the room is so they can spread their wings, so to speak. It is actually so they can avoid their own waste and they can avoid each other if the need arises. They really do not want to be stepping in feces or sleeping near it nor have to worry over on that is a bit grumpy. The more space you can give your birds the healthier and happier they will be. If they are the least bit crowded it will cause one problem after another.
Saying that, I can tell you my main Silkie coop is 5x5, with a roosting board that they do use. Their run is 20x30 and I have 6 Silkies in there with one of the hens caring for 3 newly hatched chicks.

Wow, that sounds like a great coop! And the space issue totally makes sense. I just got confused since I see so many pictures of Silkies in cages here, maybe they're all getting ready for show.

The coop is a shed I bought and had delivered. I put insulation in the walls and covered them with that real thin plywood, made 4 pop doors and divided it inside for 4 coops so I have 4 pens going off of the shed, plus I have a show pen inside with a shelf above it and a screen door on the big open door, too.

This is one side of the inside of the coop and below this photo is the other side but you can't see as much.

Here is the show coop pen I put in this summer. On the right side is the Silkie coop, though you can't see it well in this photo.

Oh Lawd- BYC has improved and now has a mobile version!!! Know what that means? I can NOW post pics via my iPhone :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom