South Carolina

I just got back from Ohio yesterday.
Where at in Ohio? I just returned as well from NE Ashtabula Area!! Actually had to bring one of my orpington chicks on the journey & cure its splayed legs! What an adventure! She's a hen & super sweet now after all the one on one attention. We call her "Buckeye". :) Heading back up in a few days to pick up my newest baby, another Labradoodle!!

I'm new to this whole chicken thing. I have 15 chicks about 7 weeks old. What does everybody recommend I do with the extra fellas? How many can I keep together? With how many hens? When can I expect them to start being aggressive toward one another? So many people say different things about this I'm terribly confused. Is it feasible to think I might find homes for a few of them if I posted on BYC and/or craigslist? They're beautiful hand raised birds. I have possibly 2 Orpingtons that will probably need to go. 1 is DEF a roo (a buff split w/ lavender that I'd love to keep, but all except one hen is his sibling which I've heard isn't good, so it would be pointless) and a full lavender one I'm pretty sure is a roo, but not quite sure yet. I also have one Lavender Ameraucana roo that needs to go and I'm keeping a split one. That's it for now, at least until the silkies start to show a bit more who is who. Or unless I can keep more than one per flock? Anyway, I just wanted some suggestions...
hmm.png
I loved the chick experience, but this thinning the herd business is well... for the birds.
tongue.png

Welcome Sunshine! There's a lot of talk out there but it seems like most of the OT have one of 2 views.
1. Keep the boys separate from the girls unless you are breeding them, and they go in special pens for those times. Roos do fine together if they're not fighting over hens.
2. Raise them together and a top Roo will emerge to guide his flock. Unhealthy, undesirable qualities, mean roos get culled from the flock.

I'm new to this whole chicken thing. I have 15 chicks about 7 weeks old. What does everybody recommend I do with the extra fellas? How many can I keep together? With how many hens? When can I expect them to start being aggressive toward one another? So many people say different things about this I'm terribly confused. Is it feasible to think I might find homes for a few of them if I posted on BYC and/or craigslist? They're beautiful hand raised birds. I have possibly 2 Orpingtons that will probably need to go. 1 is DEF a roo (a buff split w/ lavender that I'd love to keep, but all except one hen is his sibling which I've heard isn't good, so it would be pointless) and a full lavender one I'm pretty sure is a roo, but not quite sure yet. I also have one Lavender Ameraucana roo that needs to go and I'm keeping a split one. That's it for now, at least until the silkies start to show a bit more who is who. Or unless I can keep more than one per flock? Anyway, I just wanted some suggestions...
hmm.png
I loved the chick experience, but this thinning the herd business is well... for the birds.
tongue.png
The Mixed Orpingtons are ok to breed siblings together, people have been breeding siblings for years, you can also breed the Lav Roo back to them for fun backyard eye candy. My Orpington roosters do not get aggressive to each other unless I separate them. As long as they stay together I haven't had any aggression. I also have done well with Ameraucanas and Silkies roosters that have been raised together. You do want more hens then roosters in each pen though.
The Lavender Ameraucana roo bred to the Split hen will give you more Lavender Ameraucanas. If you were interested in breeding these are pure Ameraucanas.
The Silkies are also pure.

The wind was so bad last night that our turkey coop blew over, with the turkeys in it! Thankfully I happened to look outside before I went to bed and noticed it. Poor turkeys were wandering around their run getting blown around by the wind. I caught them and put them in the (very sturdy) chicken coop for the night. Poor birds!

Where at in Ohio? I just returned as well from NE Ashtabula Area!! Actually had to bring one of my orpington chicks on the journey & cure its splayed legs! What an adventure! She's a hen & super sweet now after all the one on one attention. We call her "Buckeye". :) Heading back up in a few days to pick up my newest baby, another Labradoodle!!
I was in southeastern Ohio. The Plains, Albany and Athens. My mom got over an inch of snow today, I am so jealous!!!!
We took our Yorkie with us and whoa!!!! That was hard!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom