South Carolina

[COLOR=008000]Just 'hatched'![/COLOR] :jumpy

I know there is a special forum for intros, but when I visited it all I saw were general topics, no introduction posts. So when I saw this thread I thought it would a better place to do it. My name is Chris, I live in Blackstock (about 35 miles due north of Columbia). I wasn't born here, but moved from 'El Lay' California (misspelling intentional). Yeah. I'm a 'transplant' (P.C. for 'Dang' Yankee, I believe). I was led to this group by a friend when she learned I was interested in getting some chickens to start a new flock. Alas, I don't know her user name; that's my other reason for posting here perhaps she'll recognize me and do a shout out. ;) I had chickens when I lived in El Lay (Also ducks and geese), but had to leave them behind. I didn't really know much about raising them, and to tell you the truth I'm still pretty much a newbie despite my 13 years of experience, so I'm hoping to learn here. Currently I have 4 chickens: three Australorps; 2 hens and 1 rooster who is proving to be somewhat of a bully, and 1 much more docile (although flighty) black rooster that I think may be either a black Australorp or maybe a Jersey Giant (he was supposed to be a hen :( ). I am looking to get some Easter Eggers and hopefully a Cuckoo Marans. Currently I am expanding my coop from 4' x 4' to 4' x 8'. The run is already an estimated 250-300 SqFt. (6' chainlink with a 2x4 welded wire across the entire top). P.S. is there a way to make the latest posts appear first on the list?
Welcome- I'm new too but did discover to make last post show up go to bottom and click on last page.

*heads to pinterest to dig up the pins from a few months ago when I was researching*

So, the breeds I liked that could fare well down here (based on what I've read, only): Silkie (actually, that's always been on my list), Russian Orloff, Wyandotte, Welsummer, Brahma, Brabanter, Barred Rocks, and the Appenzeller. 

Realistically, I'm leaning towards the Wyandotte, Welsummer, Brahma, and Barred Rocks. That's problematic since I really only want like 8 birds total...I will resist chicken math as long as possible. 

We have Wyandottes and Silkies of your wish list. Love the Silkies. We also have Ameraucanas, BUff Orpingtons, and White Rocks currently.

I have two black adult silkies that I am actually trying to sell right now. If your ever near Gaffney just pm me.
Certainly :) It's probably going to be a few months yet, unfortunately. You know when you make a list of all the things you want to do and make an effort to prioritize them? Sadly, there are things on the list that need to happen before chickens.I kinda wish I had more I could repurpose from our existing coop, but at best, it's just the frame. And there's a section of the roof rafters that would still need attention. I'm thinking about taking the easy way out and getting a shed and just modifying it for coop use. Still researching. Darn wanting all the things!

Certainly :) It's probably going to be a few months yet, unfortunately. You know when you make a list of all the things you want to do and make an effort to prioritize them? Sadly, there are things on the list that need to happen before chickens.I kinda wish I had more I could repurpose from our existing coop, but at best, it's just the frame. And there's a section of the roof rafters that would still need attention. I'm thinking about taking the easy way out and getting a shed and just modifying it for coop use. Still researching. Darn wanting all the things! 
Turning a shed into a coop is exactly what I was wanting to do for my chickies. I was looking at one at lowes and it was a 10x9 for 300$. Rather pricey but seems worth it in the long run.

Turning a shed into a coop is exactly what I was wanting to do for my chickies. I was looking at one at lowes and it was a 10x9 for 300$. Rather pricey but seems worth it in the long run.
Shoot, that's a good price considering some of the other things I've come across. Like this: https://www.horizonstructures.com/sites/default/files/u34/images/coop/12x40_red_coop2_lg.jpg I have no idea what it costs, but holy mother of all the things is that PERFECT for what I want. I want that so bad. I want to find someone local that can make that or get it as a kit and I'll finish it out.

Here's the solution, at least it's what I've done. Hatch or buy day old chicks. You can make an easy brooder out of a Rubbermaid tub. If you only want a few birds that gives you about four weeks to finish your coop. :)
You can't put it off because those little peeps are turning into chickens. Chicken math 101!

Back
Top Bottom