South Carolina

Amy, the Silver Auburn is really light, almost blonde.

You should hear when 20 of them come running through the barn on the matts, it really sounds like buffalos. They are so funny and those LOOOOONG legs, its a hoot.

I bet the silver auburn is gorgeous. I should go look at the photos on Porters but I don't want to get lost in there looking and drooling over photos! LOL

I asked Kimberly to post links for egg wrapping if she knew of any. Looks like she does so maybe that will help way more than my silly instructions.

Thanks for the comments on Lydia and her chickens! I am so loving this age with her, thus the reason I do not get on here as much any more. Oh, and Kimberly, Lydia says thank you for noticing her boots--she really likes them too!

wee.gif

Guess the number of silkies
lau.gif

And some more dustbathing action from my assorted chicks . The little black one in the back sort of blends in lol

So I no longer have my 2 pekin ducks. They mauled and almost killed a month and a half old slw. I saw them chasing it around that morning before school, but I thought the chick would be smart enough to jump into a tree to avoid them. When I came home that afternoon, I found the chick, covered in huge mats of fly eggs, had a large area of muscle exposed on his neck, missing all of his back and neck feathers, and the both sides of his head was bloodied. I washed him with warm soapy water, and spent almost 3 hours trying to get all the fly eggs off. There were literally hundreds of thousands of eggs. They were all over the poor baby. Some feathers were so matted with eggs I had to pull them. After washing him up and drying him, we brought him inside the kitchen for the night. It's been 4 days now, and he is healing wonderfully and is back freeranging with his sister. Needless to say, the ducks are no longer alive now. I care about my chickens, and they were becoming almost like predators to them.

Guess the number of silkies
lau.gif

And some more dustbathing action from my assorted chicks . The little black one in the back sort of blends in lol

So I no longer have my 2 pekin ducks. They mauled and almost killed a month and a half old slw. I saw them chasing it around that morning before school, but I thought the chick would be smart enough to jump into a tree to avoid them. When I came home that afternoon, I found the chick, covered in huge mats of fly eggs, had a large area of muscle exposed on his neck, missing all of his back and neck feathers, and the both sides of his head was bloodied. I washed him with warm soapy water, and spent almost 3 hours trying to get all the fly eggs off. There were literally hundreds of thousands of eggs. They were all over the poor baby. Some feathers were so matted with eggs I had to pull them. After washing him up and drying him, we brought him inside the kitchen for the night. It's been 4 days now, and he is healing wonderfully and is back freeranging with his sister. Needless to say, the ducks are no longer alive now. I care about my chickens, and they were becoming almost like predators to them.

What a huge Silkie ball! hahaha Love the bathtub of chicks! So cute!

Glad to hear the chick is doing good! I had no idea ducks would be so aggressive to chicks/chickens! WOW!

What a huge Silkie ball! hahaha Love the bathtub of chicks! So cute!

Glad to hear the chick is doing good! I had no idea ducks would be so aggressive to chicks/chickens! WOW!

Well, they were both drakes, with no duck hens, so I believe they were just sexually frustrated. That's why I separated them from my main flock, because they were trying to drag down my slw hens to try to mate with them. That's what I believe they were trying to do to the poor little chick.

First...WOW Rockerhen...crazy ducks...so sorry about the poor baby,but maybe he/she will make it through ok!!

So today I rake out coops...have a wheelbarrow FULL of sandy poo and crud...go inside...as usual the freerangers raid the wheelbarrow but unlike how they usually kick half the stuff out they flipped the wheelbarrow over...AND SQUISHED ONE OF MY MINI MINIONS ( guinea) ....THEN they went and tried to steal quail feed and I use a rabbit feeder...they managed to knock that loose but also caught a quail in the act of eating and caught its head between the wire and loose feeder and broke its neck...
hit.gif
But we did see my new turkey from Amy display when the ducks were acting up and he got onto them today...

Back
Top Bottom