Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

My baby cream legbar rooster is trying to crow this morning :(
He has to go :(

I feel your pain... I just got rid of my beautiful Salmon Fav and still have to get rid of the Arucanas . Im going to get rid of all3 ,the 2roos and the girl. The one is clean faced and rumpless and the other has 3tail feathers and beautiful tufts.
I think we should have a rooster garage sale

Hello Smudge and welcome. Where on long island? I'm in E. Islip.have you been doing the chicken thing long? Maybe you've already said but with the craziness of summer I haven't been on much.you'll find many knowledgable chicken people on here? As you can tell from most of the posts we are a bit crazy...
Again welcome
Thanks! I'm a still a newbie - but my first set of girls finally started laying this week - found eggs 3 and 4 this morning.
wee.gif

I'm out in Riverhead.

Hello everyone! I just joined a few days ago. My name's ellen from nyc. Just started keeping chickens this past year after rescuing a Several chickens from the race tracks and decided to keep a few. Looking forward to connecting with other chicken lovers! :)

Thanks! I'm a still a newbie - but my first set of girls finally started laying this week - found eggs 3 and 4 this morning.
wee.gif

I'm out in Riverhead.
Hi Smudge! I live in Miller Place-a short hop, skip and jump from you!

Hello everyone! I just joined a few days ago. My name's ellen from nyc. Just started keeping chickens this past year after rescuing a Several chickens from the race tracks and decided to keep a few. Looking forward to connecting with other chicken lovers! :)
Where in NYC? I'm originally from Bayside, Queens (and before that, Jerome Ave, Bronx...)

Welcome, what the heck were they doing at the race tracks? Yes I know before I ask this of the wise cracks I'm about to get, so let them fly....
Welcome

I have a question. If my some of my hens have not laid yet and I am not using artificial light through the fall/ winter is it possible they will not lay until next spring? They hatched at the end of March.

I have a question. If my some of my hens have not laid yet and I am not using artificial light through the fall/ winter is it possible they will not lay until next spring? They hatched at the end of March.

I'm not sure they'd wait, but eggs may be few and far between. They should be laying though. Have you taken a look through the yard, and under stuff? Sometimes my girls send me on an egg hunt.

Quick story related to egg hunts...

Two weeks ago, I was putting the girls to bed (locking up the hen house and coop) and when I counted, my BO, Lovey was nowhere to be seen. My husband and kids all came out and we searched everywhere. I was so upset since it was almost dark, and we have tons of raccoons. All of a sudden my oldest son yells, "MOM! I found her!" Sure enough there was Lovey, under the small propane tank, which is like a big one on it's side, pretty as you please....on 19 (YES, I know-what the heck???) eggs. They were all different colors and sizes so I knew ALL the girls were in cahoots, SO we emptied her cache, and put her in the hen house. 2 weeks later, all the girls still roam over to the propane tank looking for the eggs, clucking away at each other.

Little creeps.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom