Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by ChickenAl, Jul 2, 2011.

1. queenchick16

queenchick16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    You are the best. The last lab I worked at in Planview after moving here from Ithaca I was called a NIT PICKING S**T HEAD I have to say I wore that name as a badge of honor.The products I was responsible for were used to identify infectious organisms in hospitals. I certainly did not want things to go wrong once they were released. I didn't just take it as a 9-5 job .
    I have my son on tape for his first Thanksgiving -I asked him what you get from uncooked turkey and his reply was Salmonella. Or something pretty close to that.So if I come off as an obsessed crazy woman. I am. You are the best. Stay safe.

2. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    I have GOT to get that! Sounds like something even I'd like to smell in my house! I have the "Treats for chickens-Chicken Crack" (love the name) it's all kinds of good stuff, and the girls know what the package sounds like, and come running. I like Tilly's nest, it's a nice wholesome site of good ideas! Thanks!

3. Cheeky Chick

Cheeky Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2012
    Long Island, NY
    It's folks like you that keep the rest of us safe. [​IMG]

People in labs are supposed to behave that way-what you do is SO important. If people who worked in that capacity, were not careful, just imagine the tragedy that could result. No way, I'll take a Nit picking Poopy head every single time. [​IMG]

4. highpointfarm

highpointfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    Orange County NY
    thanks queen chick =]

5. Toxic Chicken

Toxic Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island
    Someone come clean my reef aquarium.
    Last time I stuck my hand in it real quick
    to move a coral that fell i didnt put on gloves
    and my fingers got attacked by bristle worms.
    They break these tiny splinter things off
    in your skin. Ouch my fingers were sore for
    a week. I got revenge, I bought a fish that
    hunts and eats them. So now I hate putting
    my arm into the thing. Why am I talking about
    fish in a chicken forum. Ha!

6. Toxic Chicken

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island

Bosses don't like it though. They get annoyed when you fail stuff.
    "it's only outa spec a little" Oh yeah, want me to tell the FDA that!
    Hahahaha. Jerks.

7. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    Karen, what are you getting in? I am still looking to complete my chick collection (not that it will ever be complete). PM me with a list of what you will have, what they cost, and we can set something up so that I can have some more babies, you don't get into deep water with the folks, and if there are the right roo/hen trios I might be able to give you back eggs when you get your place upstate (or the second coop). Just a thought.
    I didn't know you are a microbiologist! Totally cool. You are completely right about healthcare pros missing diagnoses, we all do (I am a DC, not an MD, but I still have diagnosis in my scope). It is like the tick borne diseases as well. Everyone worries about Lyme's, but there are a dozen others they carry too. On the other story: Polish babies are sooooo cute! What color?

8. Toxic Chicken

Dec 3, 2011
    Long Island
    I am getting from MPC (girls) may 30th
    White Cochin, buff orp, partridge rock, silver laced Wyandotte,
    Welsummer, A rare marans (hatchery choice)

I have 4 bbs orps, 4 wheaten/blue wheaten Ameraucana
    I'm keeping one of each of those

I have incubating
    3 cream legbar eggs due in a few days.
    I hope I get a boy and a girl. If I do I don't need to keep one
    I'll just get some eggs from you next spring.
    I also have 2 molted java and 1 Appen spitz eggs due at the
    same time (I cooked the rest of those eggs so not sure
    What I'll get outa this batch)

Golden cuckoo marans and Barnevelder due June 1st
    Welsummer due June 6

I don't want money, I just want a good home for them.

Last edited: May 21, 2012
  9. Imprfctme

Imprfctme Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Denton County, TX
    I always knew that was something wild rabbits carried, which is why you can't let your dog eat any rabbits they catch, but I didn't know raccoons carried it too. Good to know. Yes, I wear heavy welding gloves whenever handling anything wild, even if it's just a squirrel. I worked at a nature center where people used to drop off wild animals to be rehabilitated, and most of the long-time employees contracted mange at one point or another. Yeck. Not to mention fleas, mites, ticks, etc. Did you all see the footage of the alligator attacking the reptile expert that was volunteering his time? He ended up with a nasty bite on the arm for his trouble. Wild means wild, and you really don't know where the animal has been.

10. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    See what hatches out for you and then you can decide who you are keeping. I will give some a good home for you though, I might be able to take as many as 5 (then I start running out of coop). If those legbars hatch out I will build a breeding pen for them. Do you think they are related though? I suppose I can look for some unrelated birds to add in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by