Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

I am from Dutchess County. I am new to the site and not sure how it works. But I will figure it out. I have two Pekins and this is the first winter with them. I am a little worried that they will be too cold. They will not go into the house I built them.

I am from Dutchess County. I am new to the site and not sure how it works. But I will figure it out. I have two Pekins and this is the first winter with them. I am a little worried that they will be too cold. They will not go into the house I built them.
welcome-byc.gif

I'd like to say you might want to pick them up at dusk and put them to bed in their house and close the door. They should get the hang of it sooner or later. :)
But I am no duck expert so am hoping someone else can chime in with some advice.

Hi, I'm from Dutchess County also. Welcome to our thread! I have no experience with ducks, .but when we introduced our chickens to their coop we actually locked them in for a week. We fed and watered inside so they would understand that the coop is their home. This might also work with ducks. If you can't coop them for a week, then picking them up every evening would be good to try. It might take a few days for them to get the hang of things.

Morning All
Welcome NY Ducks. I think Mags is right. Putting them in every evening might do the trick. If you post that question I'm sure an experienced duck person will know.but this is the place for you, welcome.
Heather glad things ended well. Maybe scaring the hawk was all it needed for a while. Let's hope.
Went into NYC yesterday to the Hospital for Special Surgery, for my shoulder. First thing, an MRI.
Glass Hen, if you end up on LongIsland give me a shout, maybe we can do lunch.Please be safe driving that truck.

welcome-byc.gif
Don't know alot about ducks, but I'm sure we can all figure something out.
This does happen to be one of the best bunch of of peeps on BYC
cool.png

Roberta

barnie.gif

Beatrice, my HUGE sweet, good natured White Orpington, turned out this morning to be Ben, the wimpiest rooster alive. So I'm back to looking for a home for him. Honestly, he's a gorgeous specimen and very un-roosterlike. He's about 6 months old and crowed this morning for the first time. I'll post some pics. I'm looking for a home for him, so if anyone knows of anyone looking for a rooster for breeding purposes, let me know. I'm no expert, but he's a beauty.

And I hatched him myself. Okay, well, you know what I mean...
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom