Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Thanks for all the warm thougths and I am so sorry for everyone else that has also gone through this. I am on the border of Poughkeepsie and Hyde Park. From what I learned last night, robberies typically happen in the daytime when folks are out at work. Its called "grab and go", where the thief grabs jewelry and any small things that can be stuffed in their pockets and pawned. Rather than leaving a mess, they leave everything in its place so that at first glance you can't tell if anything is missing. This makes it so much harder to determine what was taken. We never use our front door, so its just by luck that my husband noticed the frame splintered on the inside.

Tina, how scary! Thank goodness no one was hurt & you & your family are safe. I feel for you, a robbery can leave you feeling violated. I love the area we live in, it's upsetting to hear about these things happening. Erica

Tina, how scary! Thank goodness no one was hurt & you & your family are safe. I feel for you, a robbery can leave you feeling violated. I love the area we live in, it's upsetting to hear about these things happening. Erica

We also lost a lot of heirloom jewelry when ours was robbed. It makes me so upset that you are going through this too.
hugs.gif

The sense of violation and insecurity that follows a robbery is terrible. We were lucky enough to catch ours. Of course, it turned out to be our neighbors drug addict daughter and her low life boyfriend (and they are back next door awaiting trial, talk about awkward and impossible to get a sense of security back with them there 24/7).

Not that it will help any of us who have been robbed to get anything back, but perhaps it can help some of you so I am going to share what the police said to us. They that I should put jewelry that we don't use often (like heirlooms) in a very well hidden location (obvious now, but I just hadn't gotten around to doing it, now it is too late). Not a shoe, vase, mattress, sock drawer, decorative box, etc. They know to look in all of those locations. They even said a safe is not really safe, unless it is bolted down or too large to conceal. They will take the whole thing and open it later. They also know about those "can safes", you know the safes that look like spraypaint or some such thing and our thief checked our bookcase out as well as all the drawers. It is their business to know these things. The thieves that robbed us took a pillowcase off a bed and used it as a loot bag. They also put everything back in place. The only reason I knew what was moved was that the hurricane had prevented my usual dusting and so I could see where things had been moved. The police also said that an alarm system (or even just the stickers) does deter would be robbers quite a bit.

Last edited:
Thanks again! I appreciate the support that you all provide, especially during these hard times. We have to go through the insurance nonsense of getting an estimate for the cost of replacing the front and back doors before we can fix the damage. We had a contractor come out today and he boarded up the front door from the inside so it will stay shut in this cold weather. Prior to that, we had been using the loveseat to keep the door closed. We hope to have a new, lockable door by Friday.

On a totally different note, we have our first batch of eggs in the incubator and am confused as to when to start lockdown. Today is day 18, and I'm not sure if we were supposed to start lockdown this morning or tonight?

I would think a safe deposit box would be a good choice for heirloom jewelry that doesn't get worn often. Not that I would know...

That said, I have a friend who just had her own daughter arrested for stealing her jewelry. Her daughter has a drug problem and she felt like she had to do something to stop her downward spiral. The whole situation is so tragic. My friend is heartbroken.

I have to tell you all about a slaughterhouse silkie I got yesterday. Oh what a learning curve I am on.

She makes me feel really, really good for saving her. She is learning to walk. ....if you can imagine that.
hmm.png
She is white & the size of a football. I am guessing maybe 4 months?

It's like adopting a little alien from another planet.Good grief it's an eye opener. knowing myself I will be getting into more mischief very soon.........even my sons and dh are talking to her and checking on her all the time to be encouraging. She didn't know how to act like a chicken and I am teaching her how to eat and drink lile a "normal" chicken. It's a bitter sweet feeling. I really think I might call her "little miracle" Because yesterday sure was her very lucky day.

I am taking all necessary health precautions and she'll be seperate from my gang and living in-doors. Thankfully she appears to be healthy and her weight /droppings so far seem normal.

Does anyone know if NYS laws determine if she likely came from NY....... or can poultry be transported over state lines?

I am very curious to know where she might have originated from. Anyone have any input??

Back
Top Bottom