Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Ended as fast as it started. Good thing.
It's here right now and is passing fast. DH says coming home from Manhattan tonight has some light show going on. glad we got some rain though. Ground is hard here and a dustbowl. Lots of little fires yesterday on the NJT. We don't need a hot and dry summer that's for sure.

It's here right now and is passing fast. DH says coming home from Manhattan tonight has some light show going on. glad we got some rain though. Ground is hard here and a dustbowl. Lots of little fires yesterday on the NJT. We don't need a hot and dry summer that's for sure.
I managed to get all the sugar snap peas in the ground today along with lettuce, some indian corn, french bush beans and zinnias. Oh and there is a rogue pumpkin planting but I'm not disclosing where. Let's just call it my gift to the future owners of my house. I'm glad it rained now! Kinda crazy though that lightening and thunder was something else....

Carolina Island are we still on for Saturday? Everyone is healthy, the egg eater was not really eating any eggs they were just cracking when they were laid. If you need more time that's more than fine with me just give me a heads up. My bantams are going to a family friend on Saturday when her coop arrives.

I managed to get all the sugar snap peas in the ground today along with lettuce, some indian corn, french bush beans and zinnias. Oh and there is a rogue pumpkin planting but I'm not disclosing where. Let's just call it my gift to the future owners of my house. I'm glad it rained now! Kinda crazy though that lightening and thunder was something else....

Carolina Island are we still on for Saturday? Everyone is healthy, the egg eater was not really eating any eggs they were just cracking when they were laid. If you need more time that's more than fine with me just give me a heads up. My bantams are going to a family friend on Saturday when her coop arrives.
Oh good for you Heather, all chickies accounted for in new homes. I am relieved for you.

I managed to get some herbs, butterfly bushes, clematis in larger pots today. I can't decide where to place them just yet in the ground.

got to get my lettuce started.....sigh. No rest for the weary right?

Oh good for you Heather, all chickies accounted for in new homes. I am relieved for you.

I managed to get some herbs, butterfly bushes, clematis in larger pots today. I can't decide where to place them just yet in the ground.

got to get my lettuce started.....sigh. No rest for the weary right?
Did the lettuce too! I also planted four butterfly bushes last week along with an Amenclier (sp?) tree. Too bad I won't be here to see them..... :( I ordered them back in October. Oh well such is life. At least some butterfiles and hummingbirds will have a spot. I'm thinking of putting in some Mexican Lantana too, really hoping to get a lot of butterflies going.

I am very weary and on my way to bed, my youngest threw up all over the carpet. No rest indeed! lol.

It was the first storm for my youngest girl that I put out 3 days ago.what a way to break them in.
My peas are already up. As a good Irishman I put them in on St. Patrick's day. Got all my cold crops in last week (a little late) and my onions. I'm trying a new variety of potato this year. It's purple and white striped. if the girls would leave them in the ground maybe I'll get a few.my EE ,betty is getting in the garden late in the afternoon and digging them up.im thinking that cutting her wings might work.

The Lyrid meteor shower will be passing us between April16-23 with the greatest show the 22 into the early hours of the 23.
When Adam was little we would wake him up , bundle him up and lay in lawn chairs in the darkest part of our yard to watch meteor showers. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be clear.

It was the first storm for my youngest girl that I put out 3 days ago.what a way to break them in.
My peas are already up. As a good Irishman I put them in on St. Patrick's day. Got all my cold crops in last week (a little late) and my onions. I'm trying a new variety of potato this year. It's purple and white striped. if the girls would leave them in the ground maybe I'll get a few.my EE ,betty is getting in the garden late in the afternoon and digging them up.im thinking that cutting her wings might work.

The Lyrid meteor shower will be passing us between April16-23 with the greatest show the 22 into the early hours of the 23.
When Adam was little we would wake him up , bundle him up and lay in lawn chairs in the darkest part of our yard to watch meteor showers. Hopefully the weather will cooperate and it will be clear.
Good morning peoples!
Well the storm came back last night and the storm drenched us good. I'm glad for that.

Thanks for that info carol, I just marked my calendar for the meteor shower. How I used to love watching the Northern Lights way up in Saranac Lake when I lived there. Such a magical moment............it always made me want to hop on the Star Ship Enterprise and roam the galaxy.

I feel bad, I killed all my elephant ear bulbs I dug up over the winter with neglect.
roll.png
I love those darn things.
My nice neighbor gave me a crepe myrtle tree she had started, to plant in my yard. Hers is so beautiful.

Where is Roberta?
Probably busy with a zillion peeps!

Hello Long Islanders. I live in Central Suffolk and am at beginning stages of chicken hood. Got some great advice earlier, including joining this thread. I'm still needing to build a coop or completing it, but my main concern is where on Long Island I can get an Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red and a couple other good egg layers with potential for meat, if need be. I would like pullets for my first attempt so my wife will believe the benefits of the eggs quicker and then the chicks will come next...unless I get a couple pullets and a couple chicks. Any advice or direction is welcomed.
Nice to know so many chicken people on the Island.

Hello Long Islanders. I live in Central Suffolk and am at beginning stages of chicken hood. Got some great advice earlier, including joining this thread. I'm still needing to build a coop or completing it, but my main concern is where on Long Island I can get an Easter Egger, Rhode Island Red and a couple other good egg layers with potential for meat, if need be. I would like pullets for my first attempt so my wife will believe the benefits of the eggs quicker and then the chicks will come next...unless I get a couple pullets and a couple chicks. Any advice or direction is welcomed.
Nice to know so many chicken people on the Island.
welcome-byc.gif
from "the other island".

Welcome! I am in Centereach.....backyard chickens are becoming more and more popular out here! I got my chicks from Makanajian Farms in Elwood, but he wouldn't/couldn't say what breed they were, we picked two of each color. It was a very long wait for eggs, but read up before introducing chicks to an existing flock of adults.

Back
Top Bottom