Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Artichoke must be awesome, I planted asparagus three years ago...last year it came up but very thin so we thought this year we could pick some.....I think the flooding did it in though :(

Hi all and welcome to all the new chicken families. It's been about a week since I've added anything, but I continue to read to hopefully learn. I read one of the new members was just starting out and in the same area I'm in...so many in the Selden Centereach area. They said they were getting 4 chicks. Made me laugh cause I was only going to get 4, but I got 6...lol. It's only been a week since we got ours and they have grown so fast...all but 1.
This brings a question. One of our dark brahmas, Penny, isn't developing as quickly as the others. She only has feathers on the tips of her wings and no tail feathers yet while the other dark Brahma has all the above and I got her from the same place at the same time in the same store brooder. Any ideas? She eats and drinks the same as the rest, I know because that's why I haven't been on here for a week, I watch them...constantly.
I took them outside for their first day outing today for an hour. Check these ladies out...
[/IMG][/IMG]

Hi all and welcome to all the new chicken families. It's been about a week since I've added anything, but I continue to read to hopefully learn. I read one of the new members was just starting out and in the same area I'm in...so many in the Selden Centereach area. They said they were getting 4 chicks. Made me laugh cause I was only going to get 4, but I got 6...lol. It's only been a week since we got ours and they have grown so fast...all but 1.
This brings a question. One of our dark brahmas, Penny, isn't developing as quickly as the others. She only has feathers on the tips of her wings and no tail feathers yet while the other dark Brahma has all the above and I got her from the same place at the same time in the same store brooder. Any ideas? She eats and drinks the same as the rest, I know because that's why I haven't been on here for a week, I watch them...constantly.
I took them outside for their first day outing today for an hour. Check these ladies out...
[/URL]
Can you post a better pic of just the two dark brahmas? It is probable that they are just growing at different speeds (just like all animals do), and as long as they are eating and drinking and pooping all is probably fine. I have raised several dark brahma them now and one thing I have noticed is that the males feather out a lot slower than the females (this is common in a lot of breeds, but I have found it to be pronounced in the dark brahmas). The males and females feather in very differently, so if you put up a good pic of the sides and back of the chicks (comb pics are great too) it will be helpful. It really takes a few weeks to be sure though. The main thing you are looking for lacing on the females, the males won't have it (or at least they shouldn't, some hatchery chicks do have some). This will show up long before the hackle and saddle feathers and the larger combs.

Artichoke must be awesome, I planted asparagus three years ago...last year it came up but very thin so we thought this year we could pick some.....I think the flooding did it in though :(

I forgot asparagus, mine are up. Don't give up hope on yours .
Jerusalem artichoke are in the sunflower family .they are invasive so I have them in a tub.you harvest the tubers in the fall .they look like ginger.check them out on line. My chickens love them also. I do have extra if you would like some , but you have to keep them confined .beautiful little sunflowers.

Up date- and it's so much better than CBS or NBC and definitely FOX. One aruacana out one piping (spelling) . Lorretta gave me 6 eggs to put in and 2 of hers are out.one is bleeding from the umbilical area so not so sure about it.one more of hers is also piping( 2ps or 1?)
At this point I have to say I hate it. Being a scientist with OCD I need perfection and I feel I don't have control of the situation right now. I say this every time I do a hatch. I really need to buy chicks. Having eggs sent through the mail sucks.

Went out East to Plantage, a whole sale nursery in Mattituck.Second time this year. What great and unusual plants they have. A number of great plants just happened to jump into the back of my car. I need another plant like i need another chick. if anyone has a whole sale connection I highly recommend it. 99 % perennials .

They are great Jeannette! I've even gotten 2 eggs from someone the past few days. They are shy but treats will make them warm up to me soon enough.

The dust has settled. Yesterday a friend picked up my large cuckoo marans as she was so loud I couldn't take her anymore. She went to a good home and it is so peaceful out there now in the morning. I was keeping my fingers crossed no-one complained so I am relieved. I was delaying opening the coop up in the early morning because she just never stopped making a racket till she would lay her egg of the day.
She was worse than a barking dog.
lau.gif

My little clb "Mary" is a hoot. She comes running right up to me for attention soon as I walk towards the coop. She is a fast little bird always eating and curious. I am so happy to have her. I can't wait to hatch these eggs out. I sure hope I have some hens.

Out together a large dog crate yesterday to section the new peeps and mom off from the others for a couple of weeks and to keep them safe.

Back
Top Bottom