Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Toxic chicken, your baby blue ameraucana chick is adorable! How's the silkie Momma doing?

Rosie, have fun camping! The turkey poults sound adorable!

Anyone else getting mosquito-bitten while doing chicken chores out there? It seems to be a very itchy time right now. Hoping everyone is doing well, and their chickens, too!

Stoopid, thank you SO SO much! We ended up finding both (cord & sulfa) at a Tractor Supply in NJ. My partner is headed out there this afternoon. I'm thinking of giving the sick one a round of sulfa and putting corid in the waterer for the others, just in case/ to help them ward it off. Does that sound right? I don't want to give them anything they don't need, but ...

I also bookmarked that fabulous website you recommended.

Toxic Chicken, I'm in love with that chick too!

Mulzer there is also a place called Bernie's in westchester. I am in rockland ...not sure if that would be closer for you then jersey ...no bridge tolls to jersey at least. Good luck with the sick girl. I just did a round of cord, and just so you know I got the first aid kit from "stoopid" it's easier then driving to have it on hand :) .

Husband surprised me with a night in pa at a resort for couples. Was nice, glad to be home though with all this storming a ton of the roads washed out etc.

I have eggs in my incubator :)

Oh and my sister tagged me with this on Facebook. I think all you chicken ladies will love it.
http://tv.naturalnews.com/v.asp?v=EADC17C55558EC771C29B1DCA1C1EC92

Yep, I'm always getting blamed for something. :rolleyes: Glad it was for this, though. Not many things turn out this well. Sorry I haven't kept up as much as I should have. There are days where my mailbox is so full of posts from this thread I can't get to read them all. I am really happy so many of you have made friends here.

Our chickens here have been doing well, except for some slowdown in production. Now that they are nearing two years of laying they are cutting down by about half. Either that or they are just a bunch of slackers! They still enjoy seeing me come out there to feed and water them, which amazes me considering I don't spend nearly as much time with them as I did when they were young. I keep trying to find the best feed for them and presently have them on Agway's Hearty Hen feed. After all the feeds I've tried I can say that I can't see too much difference in the major brands. The girls seem to do well on all of them. As long as the feed is fresh and a quality brand, it keeps them healthy.

We welcomed our first grandson this past month. What a joy and blessing he has been. My wife finds him the apple of her eye. She can't get enough of him. Grandkids are awesome!

Would be nice if the sun could shine more than a few days in a row. We're starting to grow Webbed feet here. Most of you out on The Island must feel like ducks yourselves. This has been one long winter and spring into summer, so far.

Again, glad all us loons have found our happy place. You all have a great weekend. :)

Congrats on the grandson. My father tells me it's so much better when they aren't yours :)

Thanks Irischick,
Yes, enjoying browsing this thread, learning lots. Thinking about stocking up a chicken "first aid kit". We've been lucky so far, but will be taking our girls on a road trip for the fourth, and will meet our other flock (throught the fence), and I guess it's their first chance to be exposed to other chickens, and whatever germs they might have. Suggestions welcome!

Mulzer,welcome
Have you isolated the hen that is sick? I would follow the directions for poultry on the sulmet bottle for your flock. If it is bacterial they probably are already infected.I am not one to over use antibiotics but that is my suggestion. Just check the length of time you should dispose of the eggs. Put everything on the calendar. If it is bacterial the sulfamethoxazol is a very good drug .

Toxic chicken, your baby blue ameraucana chick is adorable! How's the silkie Momma doing? Rosie, have fun camping! The turkey poults sound adorable! Anyone else getting mosquito-bitten while doing chicken chores out there? It seems to be a very itchy time right now. Hoping everyone is doing well, and their chickens, too!
All of a sudden, with all this rain we have lots of bugs here too.
So, my better judgement lapsed and I got two teeny baby turkeys. I must have lost my mind. But they're SO SWEET, I can't even tell you. They already think I'm their mama, and peep for me when I leave the room. They'll never learn to walk though, since the kids have yet to put them down. There's far worse things than more snuggly babies to love.
lucky you! I have a hankering for a royal palm turkey and a Sebastol geese. I'm getting like the woman iftom the video clip that Saalysec posted. LOL
Sleeping Turkey's The Spanish Black is "Tony Montana" and the Chocolate is "Tony Soprano" since they will hopefully be protectors of the chickens. Montana sleeps in MacKenzies hands. Soprano sitting on Joe's shoulder. I can't wait until he's a 33 pound Tom and still wants to do this... Montana did a sleeping face plant.
Oh too cute!
I really don't have good fertility because my Clyde is servicing way too many hens. And Marans eggs are not as easy to hatch in the first place, their shells are very thick. And impossible to candle because of them being so dark. This winter I hatched out over 100 eggs. I got SIX pullets. How many did you want?
OMG! only 6 pullets??? What kind of luck is that....I guess like mine. :)
Corid is known as an antognizer, it fools the intestines into thinking there is cocci in there, and like a flu shot, will help build up immunity. Personally, I would dose her with Sulfadimethoxine for 5 days. It is an antibiotic and may take care of these problems. I can ship some out to you as I know of nowhere you will find these drugs. One person to get to know is Peter Brown of Firststatevetsupply.com. He carries both of these drugs in his store.
Great explanation.

HEY GUYS!!!!

It's me, sorry for having been gone so long, there was a lot going on. Right now I'm in Hot Springs, Arkansas, heading to our new house tomorrow. If you're interested, you can read about it here: ny2texas.blogspot.com.

We drove past two different Tractor Supply Stores on our journey so far, and I could see from the highway a big sign out in the parking lot of one: CHICKS!! and a pick-up truck. It was all I could do not to just jump out of the car. Sigh.... I have so much to do in the next few weeks but man do i wish I could have a coop at the new place. Maybe just maybe I will meet some nice people and convince them that raising chickens isn't tacky.

I did get to hear my Aunt & Uncle's neighbor's roosters for a whole day and a half though, that was neat. The dog didn't know what to do, she hasn't ever heard a Roo before, lol. She did know what to do when we saw chickens at the farm at the Biltmore Estate in Asheville. Luckily there was a fence and they were busy eating, they didn't really need to be herded. Then she about flipped out and lost her mind when we saw a buck walking across the grass. Thank god for doggie seat belts!

I'm not sure when I can get back on the net to check in again, but I am thinking of you all in the rain. We haven't had much bad weather here at all. Hope no-one is getting flooded out!

Take care,
Heather

Anyone looking for a good emergency kit go to firstststatevetsupply.com and check out Docs kit. Well worth the $25 he charges. A must for everyone with chickens.

Back
Top Bottom