Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Quote:
Thank you queenchick! Coffee sounds good :) My husband was planning to run electric out to the coops but I think an extension cord is going to be The Plan. We're running low on time (as usual) unless the weather stays warmish enough for the ground not to freeze up. We have 2 coops so it will be a project to get electric out to them. He still has to enclose the run for the new coop, too. We were using a chain link kennel temporarily but we're using that as a dog kennel now....got a Rottweiler puppy on Saturday. Not that Murphy LIKES being enclosed in it or anything......ugh! Did you grow up in New Windsor?? I moved here from northern Westchester in 2003. My husband has lived in NW all his life. Nice to "meet you" ~
Never lived anywhere very long til I moved to Ithaca, oh and long island. I was an Army brat so we lived everywhere. Graduated NFA in 75 left New Windsor in 77. I go up to visit a couple times a year. We'll have coffee.

Just bought a heated waterer. Didn't want to repeat last year running outside 4x a day to defrost the water. Brrr I hate winter.
Been upset the last few days. My niece's pit bull attacked my 14yr old blind bichon. Rushed her to the emergency vet. They didn't want to do surgery because of her age so they flushed the wounds gave her 2 shots and sent her home with antibiotics and pain meds. She goes to her usual vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully she's healing good enough that they won't need to put drains in.
She is so tiny and I keep having nightmares of the incident he had her head & neck in his mouth and shook her like a toy. He seemed like a sweet dog but he just snapped. I hate to think what would have happened if he got my chickens. He's now banned from my house.

sad.png
Hopefully your niece understands how uncool this was. Even the best trained dogs have trouble ignoring their instincts - best not to tempt it, unless one is really sure.

A neighbor's sister was by with her lab, a retired guidedog with a bad leg, and it suddenly lunged at our pet rabbit. (The kids were walking the rabbit on a leash.) Fortunately, the dog was on a belted leash (tough to lunge far when you have to drag a full grown human by the waist). Everyone was fine, thankfully. The dog would never dare try this stunt with her actual owners, just with the owner's sister. Hopefully, lessons learned by all...

Just bought a heated waterer. Didn't want to repeat last year running outside 4x a day to defrost the water. Brrr I hate winter.
Been upset the last few days. My niece's pit bull attacked my 14yr old blind bichon. Rushed her to the emergency vet. They didn't want to do surgery because of her age so they flushed the wounds gave her 2 shots and sent her home with antibiotics and pain meds. She goes to her usual vet tomorrow morning. Hopefully she's healing good enough that they won't need to put drains in.
She is so tiny and I keep having nightmares of the incident he had her head & neck in his mouth and shook her like a toy. He seemed like a sweet dog but he just snapped. I hate to think what would have happened if he got my chickens. He's now banned from my house.

Sorry to hear about your little dog. Hopefully she will be OK.amazing what kind of harm a dog can do in such little time.

Oh wow! I am so sorry to hear your story Toxic chicken, that just stinks all around. Hope you don't mind if I share your story with others. I know people try and defend dogs like that but that story is all too familiar. They all say the same exact thing "he/she just snapped".

Hope your dog makes a speedy recovery.

My dog is going ok. She's on antibiotic & pain meds. I have to wash her wounds twice a day with diluted betadine and put silver sulfadaizine cream on her. She goes back to the vet in a week.

On a crummier note, I got visited by animal control. Someone complained that I have a rooster, which I don't anymore. They told me I'm only allowed 6 chickens and have to get rid of some. There coming back in 2 weeks. This sucks. My parents said to hide some in the basement. They were nice about it though.
Told me they were cute and said if I lived in the town of riverhead I could have as many as I want.

First my dog, now my chickens. I just want to cry.

Not having much luck are you Toxic. Glad your dog is going to be fine. I don't dare ask how many over the 6 you are. I hope things work out. I brought my 2 roosters to the show in Jersey for fear someone would complain.
I spent most of the day getting the tiny tykes log cabin winterized for the one group of girls.I think it's just about done.

My dog is going ok. She's on antibiotic & pain meds. I have to wash her wounds twice a day with diluted betadine and put silver sulfadaizine cream on her. She goes back to the vet in a week.

On a crummier note, I got visited by animal control. Someone complained that I have a rooster, which I don't anymore. They told me I'm only allowed 6 chickens and have to get rid of some. There coming back in 2 weeks. This sucks. My parents said to hide some in the basement. They were nice about it though.
Told me they were cute and said if I lived in the town of riverhead I could have as many as I want.

First my dog, now my chickens. I just want to cry.
I agree with your parents - hide the hens. It's what I would do if I were faced with that situation. UGH! Doesn't the Town have anything better to do with their time.

The town had to come by my house to check the property, something about the fence, and I didn't take any chances. I snatched Vinny up and brought him into the house. That's the last thing I need.
Put them in your basement! Have they already seen them?
I'm so sorry :(

Yes they saw them :(
They showed up around dusk so all of the girls were hanging out by the coop and I didn't have time to hide them. If they had only come earlier most of them would have been under my deck. I'm going to move all but 6 into the basement for a month. I'm just nervous that they will come again later on now that they know I have chickens. I'm gonna try to bribe my brother who lives down the block from me to let me put a coop in his yard to house 6 of my girls. I can walk over and care for them everyday. He gets free eggs from me all the time so maybe he let me. It's just his wife might not go for it.

Back
Top Bottom