Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Congratulations LSz on your babies...can't wait til I can get some.

Thanks Christina, I can't believe I'm going to miss the show. All the seeds I bought from CT sprouted except the peppers. Although as my dad would say "I think it was the operator " I'm thinking of trying again using Lorretas greed house.

Hope the warmer weather has you feeling a little better Carolyn.
Thank you queenchick. They all went home with Serenity Lane yesterday. Are you getting/hatching chicks soon?
We had 2 very successful hatches this spring; 14 lavender orpingtons in the incubator right now and then we're done.

I'm going to miss the show this weekend also. We planned ono going but there's too much to do around the house. Daughter #2 moved into her own apartment last week and DH is doing some work in her bedroom in preparation for houseguests next weekend. I just can't spare the time.
I hope all is well with everybody and your gardens sprout like cRaZy
wee.gif

I am bummed that you two are not coming to the show... I suppose there are occasions where there are things that take precedence over chickens. Roberta, what are you bringing this weekend? I can't believe how many boys you got rid of last year... Will Vera be coming up with you too? I have a handful of pullets to sell, I think. I haven't decided yet. Carol, how was the wool show?
Today the three fruit trees (shinko asian pear and two cherry trees) that I bought to replace the ones lost (plum and two cherries) to this winter arrived. The owner of the nursery (Fair Acres Farm) dropped them off for me, gave my current trees a good once over and provided some advice on pruning, and gifted me with an extra tree. He runs such a nice business, great variety, outstanding customer service, you name it, just a great all around place to get nursery plants. He even has black currants! They were impossible to get in NJ until very recently. I bought two and they are doing so well I am going back for 10 more and will make a hedge out of them. Did you know the foliage smells just like a black currant tastes? It is fantastic. I also put in 9 new rose bushes. It is going to be a jungle in my yard soon!
I still don't have that pumpkin patch in. I am going to till it once more and then put those seeds in the ground and hope for the best. Carol, sorry to hear about your peppers not germinating, but if everything else did, you are in for a full blown farming operation. I got tomatoes to germinate this year. I have never been successful with that before. The feed bag potato experiment is going well so far. I am on the second layer of dirt already! It is about 18 inches deep now. The ones I did in the ground are just getting going. I think the soft dirt in the bags and how warm they are is helping them. I suppose we won't really know until harvest, but so far it looks good!

Morning All,
Christina if all goes well I will be going to the show. Loretta need about 5 pullets so she is taking the ride.Decided not to go to the wool and sheep festival in Riverhead this weekend. After the show in Maryland everything would be a bust.that show is incredible.spent lots of money so I'm saving now for next year. Saw more beautiful animals than anyone could ask for.the best part was watching the young kids showing them .the sheep herding demo was the best. Oh and the food.

Christine did you see that they are having some kind of festival in Lafayette just down the road from the show. Going to that antique mill.

Had my first salad of the year yesterday. Spinach,lettuce,radishes ,and tiny red onion I pulled early.

Christina we are kindred spirits; I just planted 3 black currants. The champagne currant I planted last year is growing like crazy. If you want I'll bring a cutting. You just stick them in the ground and 90% of the time they take.

LSz, sorry you can't make the show. I won't be getting eggs for a while. I want to get my flock down to about 8 or 9 . Yes I know everybody is laughing right now. I cut their ranging space down by half so fewer birds would be happier in that area. At this point I'm getting so many eggs all of East Islip has high cholesterol .

Carol, Yay! Yes, I would love a cutting of that currant! Shall we meet at the show early then head to the lafayette street fair? There are a dozen or so antique shops there!

I have several French lilac seedlings if you would like some!

Also, ask loretta if she would like cream brabanters, spitz, golden lakenvelder, production reds, as i have a bunch of pullets to "sell". Really i just want to recoup my costs. They are marek's vaccinated, have been in the brooder for 5 weeks, fully feathered and much stronger than last years bunch. I am only bringing them if someone is interested...

Pip, will you be coming as well?

Last edited:
Hi All...can someone give me the info for this weekend plz? Would love to finally meet some of you. My two beautiful roos have yet to go to thir new home upstate (arghhh) and now I have my 8 two month old chicks ready to hit the coop. My daughter claims a number are roos, sigh. Luck of the draw. The bator went in lockdown 4 days ago...No action yet and fingers crossed. More to come...sherrill

Hi All...can someone give me the info for this weekend plz? Would love to finally meet some of you. My two beautiful roos have yet to go to thir new home upstate (arghhh) and now I have my 8 two month old chicks ready to hit the coop. My daughter claims a number are roos, sigh. Luck of the draw. The bator went in lockdown 4 days ago...No action yet and fingers crossed. More to come...sherrill
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/866558/nj-sussex-county-poultry-fanciers-annual-spring-show-2014
http://www.newjerseystatefair.org/conservatory/conservatory_directions.cfm
Park in the conservatory parking lot. Usually, when you enter the fairgrounds there are signs, but the easiest way to that lot is to take the immediate right when you enter the fairgrounds road (it is before the pond).

My six ladies (I hope....) are growing fast, 3 weeks old. They aren't fully feathered yet but when do you think I would be safe moving them to the outdoor coop, with additional heat?

The temp starts out at 90-95 and you drop it by 5 degrees every week . So they should be at 75-80 . When I raised my babies that's what I usually tried to follow.

Back
Top Bottom