Southern NY, Dutchess county and below

Good morning everyone.
Are ya all sick of this humidity like I am yet????Yuck....give me fall already. Our building plans on hold at times now due to rainand needing to paiont etc.
My day to go out fishing on a boat is dissapearing with everything else we need to do before tom goes back to work.:( guess I should be thankful for what we've gotten done at this point already .

Today will be a busy day and hopefully a productive one.

My little peeps are growing up fast. The almost 4 week old EE pops out of his little cage door now and flies right up to my shoulder. I love this colorful little guy and if it's a roo I am just gonna scream.Such personality. I enjoy theoir differences, but every now and then 1 just rises above the rest in friendliness and he is it out of this group. Way too sweet.

Made arrangements for a cuckoo marans roo new home when ever I am ready to see him go. Pretty bird and a shame.
Will wait a few more weeks and see if the EE and possibly a blue orp are roos as well. The 2 little white silkies will take a few months before I know for sure.

Good morning everyone.
Are ya all sick of this humidity like I am yet????Yuck....give me fall already. Our building plans on hold at times now due to rainand needing to paiont etc.
My day to go out fishing on a boat is dissapearing with everything else we need to do before tom goes back to work.:( guess I should be thankful for what we've gotten done at this point already .

Today will be a busy day and hopefully a productive one.

My little peeps are growing up fast. The almost 4 week old EE pops out of his little cage door now and flies right up to my shoulder. I love this colorful little guy and if it's a roo I am just gonna scream.Such personality. I enjoy theoir differences, but every now and then 1 just rises above the rest in friendliness and he is it out of this group. Way too sweet.

Made arrangements for a cuckoo marans roo new home when ever I am ready to see him go. Pretty bird and a shame.
Will wait a few more weeks and see if the EE and possibly a blue orp are roos as well. The 2 little white silkies will take a few months before I know for sure.
Yup-the humidity is killing me. My floors are sticky with moisture, and my cat actually feels wet. EW.

Why does it seem that EE's are usually so sweet and friendly? I have 2 of them (Lucy and Diva) and they are truly the most insane freaks I've ever seen. They are the only ones that are very unfriendly, skittish, and prone to unexplained freak outs! I can be sitting on the lawn, feeding all of the girls from my hands, I have chickens on my lap, shoulders and they're grooming me, and purring, and clucking softly, and the two nutbars are still under the bush, running back and forth, then one will come out, the rush back in, making alarm sounds. It's SO strange. If one gets close enough to see what I'm offering from my hand, she doesn't last 20 seconds for her to bug out completely.

I hope yours turns out to be a girl. It's hard to imagine re-homing any of my sweeties.

Yup-the humidity is killing me. My floors are sticky with moisture, and my cat actually feels wet. EW.

Why does it seem that EE's are usually so sweet and friendly? I have 2 of them (Lucy and Diva) and they are truly the most insane freaks I've ever seen. They are the only ones that are very unfriendly, skittish, and prone to unexplained freak outs! I can be sitting on the lawn, feeding all of the girls from my hands, I have chickens on my lap, shoulders and they're grooming me, and purring, and clucking softly, and the two nutbars are still under the bush, running back and forth, then one will come out, the rush back in, making alarm sounds. It's SO strange. If one gets close enough to see what I'm offering from my hand, she doesn't last 20 seconds for her to bug out completely.

I hope yours turns out to be a girl. It's hard to imagine re-homing any of my sweeties.
Thanks Rosie!
I've had some wild EEs as well. I gave them to a boy wih a farm and he got them tamed over time and loves them. I don't want skittish birds anymore and try real hard now to work with them. But quite honestly, re-homing birds who don't appeal to me or turn out to be bullies doesn't make me feel guilty anymore like it used to. With the small numbers I want to have they gotta fit in or move out.
wink.png

Thanks Rosie!
I've had some wild EEs as well. I gave them to a boy wih a farm and he got them tamed over time and loves them. I don't want skittish birds anymore and try real hard now to work with them. But quite honestly, re-homing birds who don't appeal to me or turn out to be bullies doesn't make me feel guilty anymore like it used to. With the small numbers I want to have they gotta fit in or move out.
wink.png
Yeah, it makes sense. If they didn't get along with the other girls, I'd rehome them quick-fast, but they don't have a problem with any of the girls-just me. I don;t mind if they start laying nicely-I can pick up and touch the rest of them (Except Ducky-she's a hand off type, but still very sweet) and my Barred rock, May, is like a puppy. She's truly the one girl that makes my mornings-her sister, Flower is also very friendly, but May is the one that tries to come inside, sits on me whenever I stand still for more than 30 seconds, and will try anything I give them to eat-right away, instead of the suspicious looks the others give new food.

I have so much to do today, and the darkness outside is making me just want to sleep all day. Oy.

Given that today is the first day of school in my district and I'm languishing on unemployment, I WILL go back to bed.
tongue.gif

Actually, I've already done my workout and printed half the promo letters I'm sending out for my tutoring business. (I only did that because the bills I paid hit the bank account this morning and I almost had a heart attack when I saw how little is left...)
th.gif

My sweetest hens are my Red Star and my Speckled Sussex. My BR pecks my legs every time I go near her. I tell myself she's just being friendly. Lavinia, the lavender orpington I carried around with me for two days, is very skittish. In fact, the only one from that hatch (all of whom I handled a lot) is the SS, Mabel. Gladys is very friendly, but she was my first and got lots of extra attention because she was the only child for a couple of weeks. The last group (5/25) are all skittish. And Leon is the wussiest roo I've ever seen. He's afraid of Beatrice, the white orpington.

I hear people talking about how one breed is more friendly than another, but I think it's just an individual chicken thing. Just like people.

Given that today is the first day of school in my district and I'm languishing on unemployment, I WILL go back to bed.
tongue.gif

Actually, I've already done my workout and printed half the promo letters I'm sending out for my tutoring business. (I only did that because the bills I paid hit the bank account this morning and I almost had a heart attack when I saw how little is left...)
th.gif

My sweetest hens are my Red Star and my Speckled Sussex. My BR pecks my legs every time I go near her. I tell myself she's just being friendly. Lavinia, the lavender orpington I carried around with me for two days, is very skittish. In fact, the only one from that hatch (all of whom I handled a lot) is the SS, Mabel. Gladys is very friendly, but she was my first and got lots of extra attention because she was the only child for a couple of weeks. The last group (5/25) are all skittish. And Leon is the wussiest roo I've ever seen. He's afraid of Beatrice, the white orpington.

I hear people talking about how one breed is more friendly than another, but I think it's just an individual chicken thing. Just like people.
I agree, they are individuals for sure.
Well I've spent the morning packing boxes to ship safely. Now to clean myself up and go visit my mom who is in a nursing home. Maybe even get in a manicure which I could sure use after all this working outside in the garden and the coop building. Ya think I'd smarten up and put some gloves or proper shoes on. Just call me Ellie Mae Clampit.
gig.gif

I agree, they are individuals for sure.
Well I've spent the morning packing boxes to ship safely. Now to clean myself up and go visit my mom who is in a nursing home. Maybe even get in a manicure which I could sure use after all this working outside in the garden and the coop building. Ya think I'd smarten up and put some gloves or proper shoes on. Just call me Ellie Mae Clampit.
gig.gif
gig.gif
Howdy Ellie Mae! My hands look like they belong to a guy named Jim Bob. You can call me JB.
lau.gif

Is anyone else getting these thunder storms? One minute the sun is out, the next it's thunderous explosions and torrential rain. The thunder just started again, so I guess I'll do some laundry instead of going outside to check for ripe tomatoes.

Ugh someone send me some energy!!

Caleb, we have had a lot of bear activity on this side of the hill as well. I am going to keep bear spray on me from now on. My hubby keeps the 306... fish and game doesn't want to hear about the bears until there is damage to person or property. We have had them hold us hostage when they decide to nap in the yard.
We have a tornado just down the road in hainesville. Contemplating going in the basement, not sure since you are so not supposed to be on concrete in an electrical storm. Lot's of groundstrike lightening tonight. We are under a warning for another 15 min or so.
I feel bad for our hen daisy. She has not been well so i removed her from the flock and she hid herself under the deck. I couldn't get her out of there tonight so she is out in this crazy weather. Poor thing. I hope she is ok. She should be dry and safe unless we have a ground flood.
Lilly and i started homeschooling today. We had a really good time. I hope it works for us since NJ won't let her register.
You two hugh? Jeez I thought those things were cool untill they were that close LOL... and I didnt even know we had a tornado... oooppss.... glad it didnt come this way lol.....

Everyone else.... I am not going to shoot it unless I have to.. even then... I dont have a 12 gauge yet so it doesnt really matter... but.... If a mother bear is charging I would rather have a 12 gauge than any air horn... just saying... and I do know guns, safety, and how to shoot.... i practice alot lol...... but I have seen them last two days, so i hope it stays that way... feed is now in the garage....

Back
Top Bottom