Space needed for meat chickens

I guess I haven’t been on in a week, just read all this...

I have been butchering pork and beef since elementary school. The usda approved places are just as clean as “dads garage” once we bleach things down and sanitize the big bowls. Chickens have proven to be no different!

Using the methods described here, we took care of 60 with a seasoned friend. (There where 8 of us including a 9 year old girl doing the actual killing). Then again doing our 26 plus 10 more a different friend brought over.

We need to get a better wheel system on the tractor for this season, also doing Cornish crosses not rangers.

Keeping a water hose next to the pot helped with temp control once it went over just added some water to bring it back down

Great idea! I found the pot, thermometer and outdoor propane stove I'm getting (next month) so feel ready now, especially with all of this great insight.

I guess I haven’t been on in a week, just read all this...

I have been butchering pork and beef since elementary school. The usda approved places are just as clean as “dads garage” once we bleach things down and sanitize the big bowls. Chickens have proven to be no different!

Using the methods described here, we took care of 60 with a seasoned friend. (There where 8 of us including a 9 year old girl doing the actual killing). Then again doing our 26 plus 10 more a different friend brought over.

We need to get a better wheel system on the tractor for this season, also doing Cornish crosses not rangers.

I haven't been on in a long time either. That is fantastic! My goal is to start with chickens, then move up two rabbits then sheep and goats and then eventually couch. I'm great at butchering things that are already did but haven't done the killing part myself yet but I think I can handle it knowing that I'm feeding my family good organic clean food. My son is 15 and is really excited to help which is awesome. I think it's so great to have children involved for a multitude of reasons.

I haven't been on in a long time either. That is fantastic! My goal is to start with chickens, then move up two rabbits then sheep and goats and then eventually couch. I'm great at butchering things that are already did but haven't done the killing part myself yet but I think I can handle it knowing that I'm feeding my family good organic clean food. My son is 15 and is really excited to help which is awesome. I think it's so great to have children involved for a multitude of reasons.

Yes! Get the kids involved. Mine first helped with wild game. 2 like it. 2 don't. They all know where food comes from though and will eat what we serve. One helped with the chicken butchering, with her fiancé. So proud of them. They are looking forward to helping again.

The younger has decide the future house will have chickens. Probably lawn ornaments, but will have chickens.

I would to make a couple suggestions based on dealings with a farmer doing similar on a larger scale in the Kansas City area. He had Great-horned Owls taking multiple birds per night. Do you have an idea on how to stop that if it starts?

If a hawk comes in during day, then another method might be suitable for that.

I would to make a couple suggestions based on dealings with a farmer doing similar on a larger scale in the Kansas City area. He had Great-horned Owls taking multiple birds per night. Do you have an idea on how to stop that if it starts?

If a hawk comes in during day, then another method might be suitable for that.
I don't remember if @aliciaFarmer is going to free range them or grow out in a chicken tractor type set-up. The chicken tractor type set-up would most likely have a roof on it taking care of the owl/hawk issue. I'm guessing your friend in the KC area being a larger operation doesn't have a roof structure on his.

I'm still in research mode for raising/processing meat birds, but I have found some helpful information that you may be interested in, especially with your thoughtful and humane approach in mind...

An honest and heartfelt article about raising straight run & harvesting the cockerels, including YouTube videos for "Respectful Chicken Harvest" (maybe you've already seen, but I'm saving for future reference)... a really nice insight on first time slaughtering:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...vestock-and-respectful-chicken-harvest.72871/

Another article with a natural approach to raising CX (reminds me of your own goals)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-cornish-x-for-meat-–-the-truth.66015/

I don't remember if @aliciaFarmer is going to free range them or grow out in a chicken tractor type set-up. The chicken tractor type set-up would most likely have a roof on it taking care of the owl/hawk issue. I'm guessing your friend in the KC area being a larger operation doesn't have a roof structure on his.

I'm going to have them in a 3000sf area with a coop, not a tractor, as I'd like them to be able to run around and enjoy their short lives while they can. I put all my birds in around sunset/before dark and haven't had any issues to date, with hawks or owls, thankfully.

I'm still in research mode for raising/processing meat birds, but I have found some helpful information that you may be interested in, especially with your thoughtful and humane approach in mind...

An honest and heartfelt article about raising straight run & harvesting the cockerels, including YouTube videos for "Respectful Chicken Harvest" (maybe you've already seen, but I'm saving for future reference)... a really nice insight on first time slaughtering:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...vestock-and-respectful-chicken-harvest.72871/

Another article with a natural approach to raising CX (reminds me of your own goals)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/raising-cornish-x-for-meat-–-the-truth.66015/

Thank you so very much for both of those links! The first video was beautiful. I love that lady. I had actually never seen that one before and I'm so glad you shared it. I don't like the idea of a cone and wondered about other ways that I could bmorehumane about the process. Her method is beautiful. I also never gave much thought to all of the little cockerels getting incinerated and that just breaks my heart. So I again appreciate this very much! My plan was to get a bunch of straight run chickens for my first round but having a couple broodys right now, I see that I'm going to be starting with my own. I already have three roosters in my flock and have to start with one of them (the youngest will be 12 weeks tomorrow but a Swedish flower hen so I want to keep him).

I had such strong preconceived notions about Cornish/CX that I almost didn't even read/watch that but I did and I'm so glad for that! Again, I thank you so very much. Both for the Enlightenment and for taking the time to respond. And I apologize for taking so long to get back to you. I'm not online very often.

So, now that I'm soon to have a bunch more babies Oh, things are going to be different then my original plan but I think that's how Mother Nature works. I also have a couple of semi mean girls that I was thinking of gifting to another Farm but I think I'll use them as practice with an overabundance of love and respect for them and their lives. ♡

Back
Top Bottom