Speckled Sussex chicks out early!

Katy

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Jun 29, 2007
Kansas~50+ yrs of chickens
Yesterday on day 19 I had 10 of 12 Speckled sussex eggs hatch. They are running around the brooder already. The other eggs......other breeds....that went in at the same time just started pipping early this morning. I don't know what their hurry was! When I transfered them to the hatcher on the night of day 18, 2 were already in the air cell and one peeped at me.

I used the egg cartons again with very good results!

Last edited:
Congrats Katy on your little
jumpy.gif
!

Katy, were those eggs shipped? I had a very wide variation in a batch of showgirls and am pretty sure it had to do with how the eggs were stored before they were sent to me, allowing for s day or so of early development. I have even had the same thing happen with my own eggs, especially if I did not get to them before my nearly contsantly broody cochin does!

Richard

Yes, they were shipped along with some BLRW eggs in the same box. From Texas (Houston area I think) to central Kansas. They had great veining and were very active everytime I candled.

Congrats on the new chicks Katy...

Did you get the eggs on Eggbid? or from someone on here? I would like to get some SS eggs and we have to go back to Houston the week of June 16th for my husbands next check up. It would be nice to be able to pick up some eggs while we are there instead of having them shipped.

I Love Speckled Sussex.
love.gif

smile.png
Mitzi

Back
Top Bottom