Speckled Sussex?

I'm on a list I believe for some from Gina, just getting anxious for spring is all.......lol. I've got a couple on ebay bookmarked but I think two are in Texas... such a climate change for the eggs to travel through, I have waffled about buying at this time.

Julie
big_smile.png

Mine came from Texas. I purchased from HandHPoultry. REALLY good packaging. I don't think weather could be a negative factor with their eggs. Each egg was wrapped with bubble wrap. The wrapped eggs were in a single layer in a flat priority box. Two flat boxes were taped together, and placed in a larger priority box with foam peanuts insulating on all sides. The packaging was amazing. 14 eggs arrived unbroken.

The eggs are of medium size. I think their breeding stock is fairly young. They were very nice to deal with. I am candling this Friday, so I will know then, how many survived the trip. I'm feeling pretty hopeful!

i just came across this thread while lookin up info on the speckled sussex on google
lol.png

Thanks for all the terrific info! i cant wait to get my 2 next month
droolin.gif

HI, I am brand new here and have never raised hens before but am really wanting some SS just for egg laying. Is the only way to get them on ebay? Also, the only way just from eggs? I was thinking of putting out an ISO on craigs list. I'm not intrested in showing them or anything, just want eggs. I've been reading about their docile temperment and everything and am really attracted to the SS. Can anyone give me any advice on this? Is this breed better for those with more experience raising hens? TIA.
smile.png

Try putting a WTB (want to buy) add under in the Buy,Sell,Trade section. You might get lucky with chicks or pullets. If not, I'm sure you could find eggs on here. I only have 2 hens that are already laying. If you can't find what you want, PM me and I'll start saving eggs for you. (Probably take a while to save up tho!)

Nancy (bargain) sold me some SS eggs.

I have one, but she has only laid one egg so far (and that was over a month ago... she got sick, got better but hasn't laid again). Hatched out the 21st of Feb. I'm hoping she's not done.

10376_img_0713.jpg

Ms. Cluckingly :

HI, I am brand new here and have never raised hens before but am really wanting some SS just for egg laying. Is the only way to get them on ebay? Also, the only way just from eggs? I was thinking of putting out an ISO on craigs list. I'm not intrested in showing them or anything, just want eggs. I've been reading about their docile temperment and everything and am really attracted to the SS. Can anyone give me any advice on this? Is this breed better for those with more experience raising hens? TIA.
smile.png

welcome-byc.gif
most every hatchery carries SS so do not worry to much. You only have to go to a breeder if you are looking for the better show potiental stock. Which is more expensive that hatchery. But since you just want eggs go with a htachery you will be very happy with those birds. Many hatcheries have some great looking SS.​

Or, since you are only wanting them for eggs, you may be able to purchase fewer birds from a breeder. If the breeder knows you are looking for pet quality, and has some culls available, you shouldn't be paying much more than hatchery rates.

Back
Top Bottom