SpeckledHen Eggs Round #2 -Day #22 10:45 am - 9 Hatch -2 Pips -3 to go

As of 9:00 am , here are the stats:
MEG - 1 Hatched, 1 PIP, 1 Waiting
BEE - 1 Hatched, 1 PIP, 1 Piped, but died
BR - 5 Hatched, 2 PIP, 3 Waiting

Check out this picture of Meg's Baby - I sure hope it is a hen, I want to keep it and name it Meg
20090410_MEG2.jpg

Meg and the BR that was removed from the hatcher with her, I think another BR pullet
20090410MEGRIEND_2.jpg

Group shot from the brooder, you can see Meg's color really well because she is standing under the light.
20090410_Group1.jpg

BR babies are from 1 Ivy, 1 Becca, 1 Hannah, 1 Amanda and 1 Unmarked
BEE babie is from Julie

Cynthia, How do I tell the BEE from the Barred Rock, they look the same? What to look for?

Last edited:
Does one of them have much lighter legs? You might be able to get a difference in leg color between barred EE and BR. My BA/BRs have lighter feet and legs than my BR from Cyn ever did.

Ponder had almost black feet and legs, yellow behind.

Quote:
You'll be able to tell. The EEs will have a pea comb or a modified pea comb and most will have puffy cheeks, too. And as they feather in, the bars will be more fuzzy and irregular than the pure BRs. Of course, if the baby is blue, that's a giveaway!
Your Meg baby is really red! It looks to have more red than even the one I have here.

Oh yeah - I can tell. It has been an hour since I was down. The BEE's legs are all dark instead of the pale with black was over them. And its head is bigger. Cool. But other than that, looks just like the BR's.

! have one more change for a Blue BEE. We will see. Another Meg egg is zipping.

So now I have hatched at least 5 hatches and I am still like a little kid with each one of them. Ah!!!

I tried to explain to my wife that it is a very cheap form of entertainment.

This is one of my own Meg babies for comparison, though this was taken several days ago and he's growing some cool-looking wings now.
DCP_2511.jpg

The legs on the EEs will be white rather than yellow, so yes, the legs, the comb, the beard... you can tell for sure.

Quote:
I really do hope it is a SHE. The other two Meg babies I have from my first hatch are coloring out Black or Dark Blue with Red flecks in their chest and around the head. But I am pretty sure they are both boys. I will get pictures of them later today.

Wow - That is some interesting colors, red on the bottom and blue on the top.

Cynthia - How soon can you tell if they are boys or girls? With the Orps or with Meg's babies.

I need to post you some pictures this weekend to get your opinion.

Last edited:
Takes several weeks to tell on the Orps. I've only hatched two Meg babies here, one is three and a half weeks and one is two weeks old (the red one). The older one, at this point, looks like a pullet, but I always reserve final judgement till the Orps are over a month old. This little guy I have just looks like a cockerel, no tail feathers yet, big tank of a baby. The older one has what appears to be barring, of all the weird things. No, a BR didn't get to her, not even possible at that time, so it's some odd gene popping up.

Back
Top Bottom